Excellence Award Program
The Sonoma State University Excellence Award is intended to recognize outstanding service by staff members. The Excellence Award will be awarded to two employees per year. In order to be eligible for consideration, employees must have one year (12 months or more) of University employment, as well as meet the described criteria. A committee, consisting of a cross-section of the campus, will review the nominations and make a recommendation to the President. The recipients will be honored at the annual Staff Appreciation event in May.
Who is Eligible
- All non-MPP Sonoma State University staff
- Have twelve or more months of University service
- Work half time or more
- Have a commendable work record
Excellence Award recipients will have made a significant impact on the University through outstanding dedication, competence, exceptional performance, excellent service to students, and ingenuity, as demonstrated by one or more of the following:
- Contributions and demonstrated commitment to the University's mission and core values
- Significant improvements in student service or enhanced student satisfaction
- Significant improvements in a work process or system, or significantly increasing the efficiency of an operation or unit
- Demonstrated exceptional ability to foster collaboration, communication, and cooperation among colleagues and members of the campus community
- Demonstrated performance at a level far above and beyond normal expectations
Awards Advisory Committee
The Advisory Committee consists of a diverse group of full-time employees who have been employed at the University a minimum of two years. The number of committee members will be determined by the eligible divisional population.
How to Nominate a Staff Member
Nominations will be accepted during the annual nomination period.
Steps for nominating:
- Complete the nomination form . Give specific examples of nominee's outstanding service in the areas listed on the nomination instrument. Nominators may only nominate one person per cycle.
- Route the nomination form to Employment Services, Salazar 2078, where it will be reviewed for eligibility. The form will then be routed to the Appropriate Administrator and Vice President for signature, who may add comments prior to its return to Employment Services.
Complete and submit the nomination form, then route the form to Employment Services. Give specific examples of the nominee’s outstanding service. Clarify or provide additional information regarding the nomination as requested by the Appropriate Administrator, Vice President, Employment Services, or committee members.
Appropriate Administrator and Vice President
Review the nomination. If there are questions regarding the nomination, clarify with the nominator or Employment Services. Sign the form and return to Employment Services. The Appropriate Administrator and Vice President may add comments prior to sending the form to Employment Services, for review by the committee.
Will review the Awards Advisory Committee recommendations, make the final determination and approve the awards.
Awards Advisory Committee
The committee will meet together a minimum of one time per year to make their recommendation (April/May). Committee members will be responsible for reviewing all nominations in Employment Services and making their selections prior to the full committee meeting. Selections provided by individual committee members will be considered confidential.
The committee will clarify information on the nominations as necessary, select their finalists based on the rankings, and forward their recommendations through Employment Services to the President.
Committee members will maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the awards process. Committee members will use only information provided on the nomination form for making their ranking decision.
If a committee member accepts a nomination for the award, a replacement will be selected by the appropriate Vice President.
Provides overall coordination, support, and training of Awards Advisory Committee members. Establishes the nomination period deadline, distributes announcements and nomination forms, verifies a commendable work record of the nominee, receives nomination forms and routes for signature, and holds signed nomination forms for review by committee members. Employment Services serves as an ex-officio, non-voting member of the Awards Advisory Committee.
Recipients of the Excellence Award receive:
- Cash award of $1,500
- A personalized plaque
- A gift
- Their photo and article in WorkPlace and placed on the campus web site
- Honored at the annual Staff Appreciation event
- Lunch with the President and their Vice President
- Breakfast for their department
- Participate in the Platform Party at Commencement