Office: Stevenson Hall 2010A
Office Hours by appointment
Dr. Johanna Filp-Hanke
Professor, Department of Early Childhood Studies
- [EDEC 417] School and Society
- [EDEC 420] Child Development, School and Community
- [EDEC 532] Social and Moral Development in Early Childhood Education
- [EDEC 538] Development of Thought and Language in Early Childhood Education
- [EDEC 598] Thesis/Project Seminar
I came to California from Santiago, Chile in 1996, when I joined the Early Childhood Education Program at SSU. I grew up in Chile and have also lived in Canada and Germany. In Chile I researched the developmental needs of children in poor urban areas, quality improvement of education in poor communities, quality preschool programs and family-school collaboration. At SSU I have focused on how immigrant children and their families can best be supported in early childhood education. I also am interested in scholarship of teaching, where I focus on student engagement in higher education.
- PhD, Albert-Ludwig-University, 1987
- MA, University of British Colombia, 1970
- BA, University of British Columbia, 1968
- Early Childhood
- Parent Participation
- Teacher Development
Academic & Professional Experience
- School Psychologist at the Pearkes Clinic for Handicapped Children, Victoria, Canada.
- Academic Director at the Centro de Investigacion y Desarrollo de la Educacion, Santiago, Chile.
- Director School of Psychology Universidad Academia de Humanismo Cristiano, Santiago, Chile.
- Professor, School of Education, Sonoma State University.
Recent Scholarship and Publications
- Needs of Newcomer Children.
- Family-School Partnerships.
- Impact of Kindergarten on school achievement in grade one.
- Qualities of effective grade one teachers.
- Use of Open Sources in College Education.