TO: Campus community
FR: Kendall Newman, Operations Manager for Risk Management on behalf of the COVID Monitoring and Compliance Team
We have learned of four individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 after being in one or more non-residential buildings on campus. These individuals were in the following buildings on the following dates:
- Ives Hall, 1st floor, on January 5 from 9 to 9:30 a.m.
- Corporation Yard on January 5 from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m
- Schulz Information Center, 1st and 2nd floors, on January 6 from 9 to 10:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Darwin Hall, 3rd floor, on January 6 from 10:30 to 11 a.m.
- Corporation Yard on January 7 from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m
- Schulz Information Center, 1st and 2nd floors, on January 7 from 6 to 10 a.m.
- The Student Center, 1st and 2nd floors, on January 13 from 8 to 10 a.m.
The campus COVID Monitoring Team will reach out to anyone determined to have had close or direct contact with the COVID-positive individuals within the next twenty-four hours, based on university records and our exposure investigation. As a reminder, close or direct contact is defined as being within six or fewer feet, with or without a mask, for more than fifteen consecutive minutes. In addition to close contacts, we will notify anyone who is known to have been in an indoor class or shared office setting with someone who tested positive for COVID and any person who is known to have had any contact with the COVID-positive person while indoors without a mask. Notices may or may not require quarantine, COVID testing, and other additional safety measures.
The campus has a robust sanitation and cleaning program, including regular sanitation of common touch surfaces, daily cleaning of common areas, and monthly application of a long-term antibacterial and viral cleaning product. For this reason, the campus COVID Monitoring Team has determined that no additional cleaning or closure is required.
As a reminder, the best way to keep yourself and the campus community safe is to follow all SSU guidelines and practice the following:
- Wear a facial covering when inside any campus buildings at all times
- Practice physical distancing when possible
- Wash hands with soap and water
- Use hand sanitizers provided
- Complete your Daily Wellness Screening everyday you are on campus
- Report all COVID-19 exposure or symptoms, even if you are vaccinated
- Get tested at the COVID-19 testing center on campus, if you believe you may have been exposed or have symptoms
We appreciate hearing from you. If you have any questions about this exposure or other COVID-19 concerns due to this notification, contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional up-to-date information on SSU’s response on the SSU COVID-19 website. Up to date COVID case data and vaccination rates can be found on the university’s COVID Dashboard.
Regulatory Disclosures: In compliance with HIPAA privacy rules, SSU will not release any identifying information involving the private healthcare of one of our campus community members. Information on COVID-19 leave and benefit information for employees can be found on the Human Resources website. This notice is sent pursuant to Labor Code section 6409.6
Our entire campus community wishes the individuals a speedy recovery. Stay safe and well.