TO: All Employees
FR: Evan Ferguson, Deputy Chief Information Officer Justin Lipp, Director of Center for Teaching and Educational Technology
Faculty and Staff,
Due to the increased usage of Zoom cloud recordings over the last year, Sonoma State University’s allotted cloud storage quota has been exhausted. Zoom was never intended to serve as a long-term storage system like Google Drive or YouTube. To help ensure we have enough storage space for future cloud recordings, we are making two key changes to Zoom:
- Beginning May 21, the option to automatically record your Zoom meetings will be disabled. You will still be able to manually record your meetings by clicking the Record button once the meeting begins.
- Later this fall, SSU will introduce a new data retention feature that will automatically remove content exceeding 120 days from its recording to allow for sufficient space for new recordings. More information will be forthcoming.
For now, please review your cloud recordings and delete the ones that are either unneeded or that you have successfully backed up. To download or delete cloud recordings, follow these steps:
- Log in to Zoom via the SSU Online Services Portal or https://sonomastate.zoom.us/ directly
- Select Recordings from the menu on the left.
- Next to the list of Recordings under your account, click the More pull-down and select either Download or Delete.
- *Note that by clicking on a recording you can download specific files associated with your recording, such as video, audio-only, chat log, and transcription.
- Alternatively, you can use the search tool to select multiple recordings to delete in bulk from the same Recordings page.
CTET is working with IT to facilitate the migration of content from Zoom to other locations, like YuJa, Google Drive, and YouTube. CTET staff is available at the Zoom Drop-In Room Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.. Likewise, employees can work with their GeoTeam representatives or the IT Help Desk via the IT Zoom Drop-in Room Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m..