1. Graph y = 1.1x
2. $1000 is deposited in an account earning 3% anual interest. How much will it be worth in ten years if it gets simple interest, interest compounded annually, monthly, daily, continuosly?
3. Change to logarithmic form ex = a
4. Change to exponential form t = log x
6. Express as a single log: 3logb x - logb y + 4 logb z
7. Solve for x: 3x = 4x - 1
8. Solve for x: log4 (x + 3) - log4 (x - 1) = 1
9. Suppose that the population of a city is 10,000 in 1970 and 50,000 in 1990. Assume further that the population is given by the formula
where P is the population in the year 1970, t is the number of years since 1970, and r is a suitable constant.
10. The half life of a radioactive substance is 2.3 years. Scientists figure that it will be safe to handle it if there is only 10% of the radioactivity left. How long would one have to wait until it was deemed safe?
11. Write out Pascal's triangle to the 7th row.
12. Remove parentheses and simplify (x + y)6.
13. Compute 23C7.
14. Compute the square root of 40.
15. Compute e2.
16. Compute ln 2.
17. Let f(x) = 3x + 4, g(x) = x2 - 3. What is
18. Let f(x) = 3x + 4. Find f -1(x). Graph both f and f -1 in the same coordinate system.