Faculty Representation on Administrative Appointment Committees
The purpose of The Policy on Representation on Administrative Search Committees is to ensure appropriate consultation from faculty, students and other affected constituencies when searches for academic and other administrative positions discussed in this policy are undertaken. Such consultation shall occur during the search and prior to the appointment by the President of academic and other administrators of the University. This policy does not apply to those positions listed in the Appendix. In instances where re-classification of current academic and other administrative positions leads to positions not listed in the Appendix, faculty representation shall be sought as described in this policy.
- FACULTY REPRESENTATION ON ADMINISTRATIVE SEARCH COMMITTEES
Except for positions addressed in II.D., faculty representation shall comprise at least 50% of the membership of all search committees addressed in this section.
- Election and Appointment of Voting Faculty Members to Search Committees
- Upon notification from the President of the University of a position availability, the Chair of the Faculty shall notify the Chair of the Structure & Functions Committee to begin the process for election or appointment of faculty to serve on the search committee.
- The Structure & Functions Committee shall be responsible for soliciting nominations for faculty representatives on search committees.
- For faculty representatives which require election, the Structure & Functions Committee shall arrange for an election to be held as outlined in Academic Senate by-laws.
- For faculty representatives who are appointed by the Senate Executive Committee, the Structure & Functions Committee shall evaluate nominees and submit recommendations for appointments to the Senate Executive Committee for decision.
- Student Services Professional (SSP) representatives to Search Committees required in sections II.B.2. and II.D. shall be elected by a vote open to all Student Services Professionals II, III and IV.
- Search Committees for Administrator IV Positions, excluding Deans:
- With the exceptions noted in II.B.2. below, search committees for Administrator IV positions, excluding Deans, shall include four faculty members, elected at-large, at least three of whom must be instructional faculty.
- For Administrator IV positions in Student Affairs and Enrollment Management (SAEM) and Vice-President for Student Affairs, search committees shall include two instructional faculty members elected at-large and two SSP representatives elected as specified in II.A.5.
- Search Committees for Dean Positions:
- With the exceptions noted in sections II..C.2. and 3. below, the search committees for Deans shall include two faculty members elected by and from the School faculty according to School election procedures and one faculty member elected at-large. In addition, one Department Chair, elected by and from the Department Chairs within the School in a manner determined by the School’s Council of Department Chairs, shall be included in the search committees.
- The search committees for Dean of the Library shall include two faculty members elected by and from the Library faculty according to Library election procedures, the Chair of the Library faculty, and one faculty member elected at-large.
- The search committees for the Dean of the School of Extended Education shall include three faculty members elected at-large and Chair of the Faculty or his/her designee.
- Search Committees for Administrator II and III Positions in the Student Affairs and Enrollment Management:
The search committees for Administrator II and III Positions in the SAEM shall include two faculty members appointed by the Senate Executive Committee. In addition, two Student Services Professional representatives, elected as specified in IIA5, shall be included in the search committees.
- Search Committees for Other Administrator III and II Positions:
Faculty representatives to search committees for other Administrator III and II positions which are not listed in the Appendix shall be appointed by the Senate Executive Committee.
- Search Committees for Administrator Positions Not Addressed Above:
The President of the University may at times deem appropriate to include faculty representation in search committees for administrator positions beyond those addressed elsewhere in the policy. In such cases, the President of the University shall notify the Chair of the Faculty of impending recruitment to fill other administrator positions. The notification shall include a request for faculty to serve on the committee.
- STUDENT REPRESENTATION ON ADMINISTRATIVE SEARCH COMMITTEES
- Upon notification from the President of the University to the President of ASI, student members shall be elected or appointed to Search Committees in accordance with ASI policies and procedures.
- Student membership on Search Committees for Administrator II, III, and IV positions in SAEM shall include one or two members, at the discretion of the President of the Associated Students, Inc. (ASI).
- Student membership on Search Committees for other Administrator II, III, and IV positions not listed in the Appendix shall normally include one member.
- RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SEARCH COMMITTEES
Once established, the Search Committee shall consult with the appropriate administrator(s) and the Employee Services Office, shall participate in preparation of the position announcement, and shall follow University search procedures and practices as posted on the University Affairs website: http://www.sonoma.edu/UAffairs/policies/recruitment.htm
- TENURE AND FACULTY APPOINTMENT FOR ACADEMIC ADMINISTRATORS:
- Tenured faculty who assume academic administrative assignments shall continue to hold their rank and shall retain rights to their faculty appointment.
- A faculty appointment may be granted to new academic administrative appointees only after consultation with the appropriate department.
- The President may award faculty tenure to a person whose assignment is in an administrative position at the time of appointment. Appointments with tenure shall be made only after an evaluation and positive recommendation by the Re-appointment, Tenure and Promotion Committee of the faculty member’s home department.
Updated July 5, 2011 by SSU.email@example.com