Heather Kohler Flynn
- Lecturer in Sociology
- Ph.D., University of California, Davis
Office: Stevenson 2084
Areas of Expertise:
Gender, Research Methods, Social Networks, Social Psychology, Social Relationships, Sports in Society, Statistics for Sociologists, Youth and Adolescence
Dr. Flynn’s dissertation focused on friendship characteristics and quality during adolescence and early adulthood. Her current projects include: the influence of parental behavior on adolescent friendship quality, friendship characteristics across the life course, and the influence of gender and extracurricular activity participation on adolescent self-esteem.
- SOCI 300: Sociological Research Methods
- SOCI 301: Statistics for Sociologists
- SOCI 312: Sociology of Gender
- SOCI 441: Methods Seminar: U.S. by the Numbers
- SOCI 498: Senior Seminar: Marriage and Family
- SOCI 498: Senior Seminar: Sports in Society
- Flynn, Heather Kohler, Diane H. Felmlee, and Rand Conger. Forthcoming. “The Social Context of Adolescent Friendships: Parents, Peers, and Romantic Partners.” Youth and Society. http://yas.sagepub.com/content/early/2014/11/27/0044118X14559900
- Flynn, Heather Kohler. Forthcoming. “Self-Esteem.” in The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Gender and Sexuality Studies. Nancy A. Naples Editor-in-Chief.
- Gregson, Jennifer, Marcy Sowa, and Heather Kohler Flynn. 2011. "Evaluating Form and Function of Regional Partnerships: Applying Social Network Analysis to the Network for a Healthy California, 2001-2007." Journal of Education and Nutrition Behavior Volume 43; Number 4S2: 67-74.
- Felmlee, Diane H., Heather Kohler Flynn, and Peter Riley Bahr. 2008. “Too Much of a Good Thing: Fatal Attraction in Intimate Relationships.” Free Inquiry in Creative Sociology 36(1): 3-14.
- Smith, Vicki, Heather Kohler Flynn, and Jonathan Isler. 2006. “Finding Jobs and Building Careers: Reproducing Inequality in State-Sponsored Job Search Organizations.” In Worker Participation: Practices and Possibilities, edited by V. Smith. Research in the Sociology of Work, Volume 16. Oxford: JAI/Elsevier Press.
- Flynn, Heather Kohler. 2003. “Self Esteem Theory and Measurement: A Critical Review” thirdspace (http://www.thirdspace.ca/), Volume 3.