Professor Elaine Wellin
- Lecturer in Sociology
- Emerita Professor of Sociology
- Ph.D. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Office: Stevenson 2084
Areas of Expertise:
Social Stratification, Environmental Sociology, Sociology of Work, American Society
Research in environmental sociology includes grassroots environmentalism, watershed protection and politics, case studies in local environmental protection and sustainabilities, and community forestry.
Elaine Wellin, Adjunct Lecturer of Sociology and Women's and Gender Studies, earned her Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Her teaching areas include American Class Structure, Sociology of the Environment, Human Service Administration, Sociology of Work, Women and the Environment, and Feminist Research Methods. Prior to joining SSU's Sociology Department, she taught at the University of Michigan in the Sociology Department. Her research and publications center on work in environmental sociology and feminist studies. Many of her classes involve service learning, a course component that extends class work to include participation in community affairs.
- SOCI 312: Sociology of Gender
- SOCI 319: Aging and Society
- SOCI 335: American Society
- SOCI 347: American Class Structure
- SOCI 480: Methods Seminar: Sociology of Work
- SOCI 482: Sociology of the Environment
Selected Papers & Publications:
- Wellin, Elaine. 2005. “The Great Northern California Water Baggie Struggle” a case study (in progress) Paper accepted and prepared for the Pacific Sociological Association, 2005, but not delivered due to family health emergency.
- Wellin, Elaine and Thomas Lough. 2001. “Civil Society and the Commons: This Is What Democracy Looks Like.” Conference, Society for Human Ecology, Jackson Hole, WY, March, 2001.
- Wellin, Elaine. 1996. "Women in the Grassroots Environmental Movement: a gendered analysis." American Sociological Association, August 18, 1996.
- Wellin, Elaine. 1994. "Breaking the Silence: The Social Construction of Women's Activism in Grassroots Environmental Groups," a paper presented at the American Sociological Association Meetings in August, 1994, Los Angeles, CA.
- Wellin, Elaine, Barbara Israel, Mark A. Chesler, Beth Baker, Shana Langer and Bill Forderer. 1991. “Environmental Activists Share Knowledge and Experiences: Description and Evaluation of STP Schools at the Highlander Research and Education Center." PCMA Working Paper #29 and CRSO Working Paper #441.
- Wellin, Elaine. 1976. "Battered Women," in K. Van Wormer, ed. Criminal Justice and Minorities. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company.
- Wellin, Elaine and Thomas Lough. 1973. "How We Did It: The Akron Neighborhood Faculty Program at Kent State University," (unpublished paper).
- Wellin, Elaine and Thomas Lough. 1970. "Communiversity," paper presented before the American Sociological Association, Park Sheraton Hotel, Washington, DC, September 1, 1970.