Professor Cindy A. Stearns
- Professor of Sociology
- Ph.D., University of California, Davis
Office: Stevenson 2084-B
Areas of Expertise:
Sociology of Reproduction, Gender, Work, Health, Childhood, Mothering, and the Body
Cindy Stearns joined the Sociology Department in 2007, after sixteen years as a faculty member and chair of Women’s and Gender Studies at SSU. Before arriving at SSU Professor Stearns taught at the University of Missouri and was an NIMH postdoctoral fellow in the School of Public Health at UC Berkeley. Her current research employs qualitative methods to study women’s experience of breastfeeding, the workers who support breastfeeding and the social context for breastfeeding in the U.S. She has also conducted research on the changing nature of medical work, physician interactions with patients, gender issues in jails, and other topics.
- SOCI 300: Sociological Research Methods
- SOCI 440: Sociology of Reproduction
- SOCI 445: Sociology of Childhood and Adolescence
- SOCI 480: Methods Seminar: Sociology of Work
- SOCI 498: Senior Seminar: Sociology of the Body
- Stearns, Cindy A. 2011. “Sociology of Reproduction” in Teaching Motherhood: A Collection of Postsecondary Courses on Mothering/Motherhood, edited by MIRCI (The Motherhood Initiative for Research and Community Involvement.
- Stearns, Cindy A. 2011. “Cautionary Tales about Extended Breastfeeding and Weaning,” Health Care for Women International 32(6):538-554.
- Stearns, Cindy A. 2010. “The Breast Pump.” Pages 11-23 in Giving Breastmilk: Body Ethics and Contemporary Breastfeeding Practice, edited by A. Bartlett and R. Shaw. Bradford, Ontario: Demeter Press.
- Stearns, Cindy A. 2009.“The Work of Breastfeeding.” Women’s Studies Quarterly. 37 (3/4):63-80.
- Stearns, Cindy A.1999. “Breastfeeding and the Good Maternal Body.” Gender & Society 13(3):308-325.
- Stearns, Cindy A. 1997. “How Physicians Lost Out to Managed Care: A Case Study of Accommodation and Resistance in a Medical Community.” Journal of Medical Humanities 18(3):169-179.
- Jackson, Patrick G. and Cindy A. Stearns. 1995. “Gender Issues in the New Generation Jail.” The Prison Journal 75(2):203-221.