Mentor ProgramThe School of Business and Economics (SBE) Mentor Program is designed to provide opportunities for students to explore professions, companies, and industries in the world of work.
Join the School of Business and Economics Mentor Program
The Mentor Program provides opportunities for students to explore professions, companies, and industries in the world of work. Through it:
We help students start the career search process early in their academic careers.
Mentees develop meaningful interations with business professionals.
Mentees connect how classroom learning applies to the real world.
Mentees meet with the SBE Career Center to begin developing goals and activities to be spread over the 15-week semester. Then at the kick-off event, mentees present their plans to mentors to finalize goals and to schedule activities. Mentors commit to a goal of meeting with their mentees for 10 hours over the semester.
Upon completion of the program and its requirements, a Recognition Event will be held. Mentees/Mentors will receive a Certificate of Completion.
Activities That Mentors May Provide
- Host a company tour; offer job shadowing; introduce mentees to SSU alumni and colleagues in an organization.
- Take students to a business meeting, training session or workshop to observe executives in professional interactions.
- Demonstrate how to network with other professionals by attending a professional organization/service club meeting (Sonoma County Alliance, PASCO, etc).
- Attend a job fair and direct mentee toward internship and job opportunities.
- Offer advice on careers and setting academic goals.
- Give feedback on a resume and/or graduate school application.
- Hold a mock interview session (videotape and critique).
- Have a business lunch together; model professional phone etiquette; read an industry publication together.
- 2.5 GPA or higher
- Business or Economics Major or Minor
- First semester Sophomore or above
- Complete application packet including:
Mentor Program Schedule and Important Dates
Spring 2017 Dates:
January 30, 31 or February 2, 2017 at noon: Student Goal Setting Meeting
Location: Stevenson 2046
February 7, 2017 from 5-6 pm: Program Kick-off Event required for all Students and Mentors
Location: Schultz (Library) 3rd floor
April 3, 4 or 6, 2017 at noon: Student Check-in w/ SBE Career Center in
Location: Stevenson 2046
April 2017: Mentor Check-in by SBE Career Center via email/phone
May 9, 2017: Celebration Event from 5 - 6 pm required for all Students and Mentors
Location: Student Center Ballroom, 2nd floor Student Center