Graduation Procedure for Filing for Bachelor's or Master's DegreeCommencement Information
Graduation Applications must be received in the Office of Admissions and Records by the following dates:
|GRADUATION DATE||PRIORITY FILING DATE*||FINAL DEADLINE**|
|Spring '13: May 11, 2013||September 15, 2012||February 1, 2013|
|Summer '13: August 9, 2013||February 1, 2013||March 15, 2013|
|Fall '13: December 20, 2013||February 1, 2013||September 15, 2013|
*Undergraduate students who file by the Priority Filing Date will have the benefit of receiving a Graduation Evaluation prior to registering for their final semester. (Note: While Undergraduate students are encouraged to file by the Priority Filing Date, please do not file more than one year in advance of your planned graduation date.)
** The Final Deadline is the date by which students must submit applications to be considered for graduation at the conclusion of that term. However, no guarantee is made as to when a Graduation Evaluation will be completed.
Note: Acceptance of applications turned in after the Final Deadline will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but there will be NO GUARANTEE that the student will be considered for graduation.
Note: If any filing date or deadline falls on a weekend or holiday applications will be accepted without penalty through the following regular workday.
Important Information for Degree Candidates:
Students applying for a Bachelor's degree must submit the following two types of forms to our office:
- Graduation Application
- Major/Minor Requirements Contract, signed by the advisor and Department Chair
Important Note: If the student has more than one major or minor he/she will need to submit separate Major/Minor Requirements forms for each major or minor. Any changes to the major or minor requirements require an approved Major/Minor Contract Addendum.
Important Note: The Graduation Application and approved Major/Minor Requirements form(s) must be stapled together and turned in to our office at the same time. Changes to graduation date must be made via a Graduation Changes form.
Important Note: On the Major/Minor Requirements form(s) please list your classes chronologically.
Students applying for a Master's degree must submit the following form to our office:
- Application for Award of Master's Degree
Important additional notes:
- All requirements, including the Written English Proficiency Requirement (WEPT), must be met by the graduation date, or else a Graduation Changes form must be filed for a subsequent graduation date. It is the student's responsibility to see that any necessary official transcripts, grade changes, test scores, petitions or waivers are received in the Office of Admissions and Records. Changes to a student's permanent record will not be accepted after the degree has been posted.
- December graduates, along with May and August candidates, may participate in May Commencement exercises.
- Diplomas will be mailed within two to three months of graduation. Diploma address changes should be made online through your PeopleSoft account.
- The University prepares a list of Graduation Candidates which is made available to newspapers, organizations, and governmental agencies upon request. The same list is used in preparation of the Commencement Program. Candidates are identified by name, major, degree type, and date of graduation. If you do not wish your name to be included, please note this on the Graduation Application form.
- The University prepares a tentative honors list for designating potential honors (Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude) in April of each year for all undergraduate graduation applicants who have both a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50 and a minimum SSU residence GPA of 3.50, and who have completed 40 letter-graded units in residence at SSU at the time the list is prepared. This list will be used to publish the honors designations in the Commencement Brochure. (Note: 45 letter-graded units in residence at SSU are required to receive honors at graduation/degree awarding.)
- Students wishing to continue taking classes after receiving a Bachelor's Degree must apply for admission as a postbaccalaureate student.
- Be aware that your sonoma.edu e-mail address may be used to notify you of information or requirements related to your graduation. Please check your sonoma.edu e-mail regularly.
- Please check the SSU website periodically during spring semester for updated information related to Commencement day.