Replacing Your W-2

The Payroll and Benefits Office provides assistance to all employees on understanding how to read your pay warrant. We also provide information on how to request a duplicate W-2 form or obtain employment verification.

W-2s are mailed from the State Controller's Office in Sacramento to your home address. This normally occurs by January 15th of each year. If you do not receive your W-2 by the end of January, you should contact your Personnel/Payroll Office.

In the event you lose your W-2, or require a duplicate copy for another reason, you can request one. You may obtain a Standard Form 436 (Request for Duplicate Wage and Tax Statement) from your Personnel/Payroll Office, download Standard Form 436 here, or write directly to our office. The request must include your name, Social Security Number, the tax year(s) being requested, your mailing address, a daytime telephone number, and your authorizing signature. More than one tax year may be requested; however, only four prior tax years are available. There is a $8.50 processing fee per tax year requested.

If you are currently employed with a state agency or campus, you must pay via payroll deduction. Please ensure that you check this option on the Standard Form 436. If your current position does not allow for voluntary deductions (i.e. retired annuitant, student assistant, youth aide), or you are no longer employed by a state agency or campus, you may remit payment by either a cashier's check or a money order. Personal checks will not be accepted.

Outside Resources

Please send requests to the following address:
State Controller's Office
Personnel / Payroll Services Division
P.O. Box 942850
Sacramento, CA 94250-5878
ATTN: W-2 Unit