The annual benefits Open Enrollment period for CSU employees is September 16, 2013, through October 11, 2013. The effective date for all changes made during Open Enrollment will be January 1, 2014.
During the open enrollment period, eligible employees may:
- Enroll in or change health or dental plans;
- Add or remove spouse, domestic partner or eligible dependents to health and/or dental plan;
- Elect or cancel FlexCash. If you have other non-CSU medical and/or dental coverage, you may elect the FlexCash Plan which pays you cash in lieu of CSU coverage;
- Elect participation or re-enroll in the Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA) or the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA). If you are participating in 2013, and want to continue participation in 2014, you must re-enroll during open enrollment.
SSU Health Benefits Fair
On Thursday, October 3, 2013, we will be hosting an in-person Health Benefits Fair in the Student Union Multi Purpose Room (MPR) from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. We have invited participating health plan representatives who will be available to answer your questions. Enrollment forms and supplemental material will be available for employees.
2014 Health Program Highlights
- CalPERS Health Plan Changes for 2014 - CalPERS has added new Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) to its program. Beginning January 2014, Anthem Blue Cross and United Healthcare will join Blue Shield of California and Kaiser Permanente in providing HMO options to our health plan subscribers in the Northern California Bay Area. CalPERS PPO and HMO plans will add coverage for the related aspects of gender reassignment surgery. Our PPO health plans: PERS Select, PERS Choice, PERSCare, will add:
- Dental services for cleft lips or palates
- Provide coverage for medically necessary Applied Behavior Analysis Therapy
- A Specialty Preferred Drug Strategy to encourage the use of certain categories at lower cost, clinically appropriate prescription drugs where feasible
- The above coverage is currently included in CalPERS HMO health plans
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA) and/or Health
Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA) permit you to set aside a portion of your pay on a pre-tax basis to reimburse yourself for eligible expenses. If you are currently enrolled in the DCRA and/or HCRA, and wish to continue participation in the plan(s), you are required to re-enroll annually during open enrollment.
For 2014, the maximum annual contribution for HCRA is $2,500 and remains at $5,000 for DCRA.
Flexible Spending Account Debit Card for HCRA Enrollees - The optional “FSA Benny Card” issued by ASIFlex, allows enrollees to pay for out-of-pocket medical expenses (i.e., health, dental, vision, etc.) as payment at Health Care Providers and at certain retail locations. For more information about the debit card, please visit the CSU Systemwide Benefits Portal at: www.calstate.edu/hr/benefitsportal/.
- Vision Plan - As a reminder, you and your eligible dependents are automatically enrolled in the VSP vision plan, which is currently fully paid by the CSU. Eye care is an important component of an individual’s overall health and well-being. Make sure you and your family members take advantage of the benefits provided by the plan.
- CalPERS Web Video - CalPERS offers an on-demand video that provides information from expert health plan representatives. Also included with this video are downloadable materials for the 2014 health plans. The video is available on CalPERS On-Line at www.calpers.ca.gov.
- Voluntary Benefits - The following voluntary benefits are offered through payroll deductions:
Plan Vendor Auto and Home Insurance 1-866-680-5143 California Casualty Critical Illness Plan 1-800-433-3036 Aflac MetLaw Legal Plan 1-800-438-6388 Hyatt Legal Plan, Inc. Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance 1-800-378-5745 The Standard Voluntary Life Insurance 1-800-378-5745 The Standard Voluntary Long Term Disability 1-800-378-5745 The Standard
- Additional information regarding these voluntary benefit plans and how to enroll can be found on the CSU Systemwide Benefits Portal at: www.calstate.edu/hr/benefitsportal/. Please note that all of the above voluntary benefit plans, with the exception of the MetLaw Legal plan, allow employees to enroll throughout the year. Rates for The Standard Voluntary plans are listed in the 2014 Voluntary Standard Rates sheet.
- MetLaw Legal Plan - This is your annual opportunity to enroll in the MetLaw Legal Plan for a low monthly premium of $19.70. The MetLaw Legal Plan offered by Hyatt Legal Plans, Inc., provides representation for many personal legal services for employees and their eligible dependents. Employees that do not enroll in the plan during open enrollment, will not have another opportunity to enroll in the plan until next year’s open enrollment period.
- CSU Dental Program - There are no benefit changes. Dental premiums will continue to be fully paid by the CSU for the 2014 plan year.
To make an Open Enrollment change, please:
- Complete the Benefits Enrollment Information Worksheet. All forms are due in the Payroll and Benefits Office by Friday, October 11, 2013.
- Sign Enrollment forms. The Payroll and Benefits Office will need to generate additional documents in order to process your open enrollment change. We will contact you when the documents are ready for signature.
- Your benefits will not change until January 1, 2014.
- CalPERS Open Enrollment News
- 2014 CalPERS Health Benefits Program Basic Plan Rates
- To enroll in the Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA)and/or Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA), please complete the HCRA/DCRA Enrollment Form.
- FSA Debit Card - FAQ
- CSU Open Enrollment Brochure
- CSYou Open Enrollment Webpage
- CSU Systemwide Benefits Portal
If there is a discrepancy between this information and the official plan documents and contracts, the official documents will always govern.