Sonoma State University Professor Dr. Mariana G. Martinez has won a seat on the Santa Rosa Junior College Board of Trustees, garnering the most votes running against two incumbents. Martinez will represent the 3-4-5 district, which covers Rohnert Park, Cotati, most of Santa Rosa and several areas of unincorporated Sonoma County.
Recent Entries in Spotlight
November 15, 2016 11:24 AM
October 7, 2016 3:21 PM
September 22, 2016 11:15 AM
Sonoma State University President Judy K. Sakaki and others were on hand to tell personal stories at a September 13 reception for the University Library Art Gallery's exhibition, "Creativity Unconfined: Life in a World War II Japanese American Internment Camp." The reception also highlighted the University Library's Digital Special Collection on Japanese Americans of Sonoma County.
Just outside the second floor gallery is a digital exhibit highlighting the Collection. Photos, letters and artifacts from Japanese Americans of Sonoma County and their wartime experiences in American incarceration camps have been digitized and added to the collection.
September 12, 2016 2:25 PM
She gently grasped the branch and kissed a newly formed leaf of the horse chestnut tree in Sonoma State University's Holocaust and Genocide Memorial Grove. "It reminds me of my childhood," says Helena Foster, gently releasing the branch and breathing in the fresh summer air around the tree. "We used to play in the garden. It brings back memories of my brother, who did not make it, because they got him. I'm the only one who survived."
September 2, 2016 3:59 PM
March 22, 2016 8:44 AM
In December 2015 I took a swell trip. While my students back on campus crammed for final exams in my lecture and laboratory courses, and sweated out documenting their lengthy geology field trip reports, I got schooled, in the good sense. I went to Cuba, an island in the humid tropics where perspiration flows like cheap rum. I joined 22 other scholar-tourists from 15 campuses around the country who converged in Miami, Florida, and then made the short flight to Havana, Cuba for the week-long education and research delegation.
March 11, 2016 8:58 AM
Sonoma State University English professor Brantley Bryant, author of Middle English modern satire "Geoffrey Chaucer Hath a Blog," is spearheading the creation of an online open access companion to Chaucer's "The Canterbury Tales" that will be free for students to use as a resource for studying the classic text.
February 16, 2016 1:40 PM
February 10, 2016 11:44 AM
November 10, 2015 3:34 PM
September 23, 2015 10:20 AM
When Polaroid decided to stop making its trademark instant-developing film in 2008, the company destroyed nearly all of its factories. Sonoma State University environmental history professor Laura A. Watt has latched on to the iconic Polaroid style to express another side of her art. Her work is featured in a solo exhibition, "The Evolving Landscape of Point Reyes," at Prince Gallery in Petaluma Oct. 7-Nov. 8.
September 10, 2015 8:39 AM
The world-class music halls at Sonoma State University will soon be filled by the sound of a student symphony orchestra. Sonoma State has hired a tenure-track music professor to direct the Sonoma State Symphony Orchestra, which performs in Weill Hall at the Green Music Center.
Alexander Kahn joined the music faculty this semester, and students are already enrolled in the university's first official symphony orchestra. Kahn holds a Ph.D. from U.C. Berkeley and a Graduate Performance Diploma in orchestral conducting from the Peabody Institute at John's Hopkins University. He was most recently a tenured professor at Gettysburg College in Pennsylvania.
All Entries in Spotlight
- Nov 15 2016 SSU Professor Mariana G. Martinez Wins Seat on SRJC Board of Trustees
- Oct 7 2016 SSU Professor Mariana G. Martinez Vying for Seat on SRJC Board of Trustees
- Sep 22 2016 SSU Library's Digital Special Collection Exhibit Highlights Life in Japanese Internment Camps
- Sep 12 2016 Holocaust Survivor Helena Foster Revisits her Circle of Trees at SSU
- Sep 2 2016 Arts Integration Program Brings Classes to Green Music Center
- Mar 22 2016 Hemingway in Cuba: Retracing Literary Footsteps with COPLACuba
- Mar 11 2016 English Professor Releasing Free Online Companion to 'Canterbury Tales'
- Feb 16 2016 SSU Music Department Welcomes New Studio Faculty
- Feb 10 2016 SSU Student Helps Set Up Telemedicine Site in Haiti
- Nov 10 2015 DREAMers Club Helps Undocumented Students Succeed in College
- Sep 23 2015 Professor's Photography Highlights Changing Rural Landscape
- Sep 10 2015 New Sonoma State Symphony Orchestra Director Has Big Plans For Inaugural Season
- Aug 18 2015 SSU Students Learn More Than Just Math at Thai University
- Jun 12 2015 Beetles Still Yielding New Discoveries for Biology Professor
- Jun 8 2015 Ensuring Success For Migrant Students
- May 11 2015 Seawolf Scholars Helps Foster Youth Navigate College
- Apr 16 2015 SSU Technician Shoots Giant Laser at the Moon
- Apr 8 2015 SSU Professor on the Cutting Edge of Wearable Technology
- Mar 24 2015 Two Student Films Selected For Prestigious Cannes Film Fest
- Feb 12 2015 Society For Women Engineers Club Aims to Close Gender Gap
- Jan 5 2015 SSU Grad Student Brings New Life to Biology Specimens
- Nov 18 2014 SSU Geology Students Study Prehistoric Life in the Canadian Rockies
- Oct 12 2014 Sophomore Year Experience Creates A Culture of Curiosity to Smooth Transition for Second Year Students
- Sep 25 2014 Team Sonoma Gathers to Fight Blood Cancer at Light the Night, Oct. 11
- Sep 16 2014 SSU Professor Helps Bring LGBT History to Light With Groundbreaking Report
- Aug 15 2014 SSU's Children's School: Where the Environment is the Teacher
- Aug 6 2014 74 Seawolves Earn All-Academic Honors as Athlete-Scholars
- Mar 26 2014 Research Matters: Provost Funds 29 Projects for Student, Faculty Teams
- Feb 11 2014 Nu Beta Mu - Bringing Business to Black Students
- Jan 10 2014 Myrna Goodman - On the Frontlines of Holocaust Education
- Dec 16 2013 Special Collections - Treasures from the North Bay's History
- Nov 22 2013 Lauren Morimoto - Reframing Diversity
- Nov 12 2013 Q&A With Mo Phillips: Loving Every Minute at SSU
- Nov 6 2013 North Bay Math Project: Solving A Great Math Problem Regionally
- Oct 1 2013 Mark Utarid - SSU Key Master
- Sep 13 2013 John Michael Vincent Coralde: Dreams of Helping His Native Land
- Sep 3 2013 Pacific War Memorial
- Jul 29 2013 Gentleman Farmer Heading Associated Students This Year
- May 2 2013 Pat Jackson - Inside Criminal Justice
- Apr 22 2013 Brantley Bryant - Rebooting the Middle Ages for the 21st Century
- Apr 2 2013 Mac Hart - Sprouting Connections
- Mar 21 2013 Missy Brunetta - Problem Solver
- Mar 6 2013 Jamila Dozier - Service with a Smile
- Feb 20 2013 Martha Dunlop Peterson - Chronicling Life's Journey
- Feb 11 2013 Armand Gilinksy - A Special Case
Jan 24 2013
Professor Ben Ford Does
the Math...and More
- Jan 4 2013 Marylu Mattson - Hutchins pioneer
- Dec 5 2012 Claudia Luke - A Bridge Between Individuals and the Environment
- Nov 7 2012 Mark Fabionar - "Cultivating a Community"
- Oct 26 2012 Genevieve Sullivan - Making Things JUMP
- Oct 17 2012 Jeffrey Reeder - Spanish guru
- Sep 25 2012 Merlin Hanauer - "Poverty Traps"
- Sep 12 2012 Lynn Cominsky - Physics Diva
- Aug 24 2012 Carlos Pena - Spirit of SSU
- Jul 24 2012 Christopher Dinno Honored with Facilities Managers Recognition Award
- Jul 17 2012 Troy Cullison - Making Re-entry Count
- Jun 22 2012 EXCEL for Youth Turns 30!
- Jun 6 2012 Punya Droz - Cambodian Angel
- May 4 2012 Volt - Small But Mighty
- Apr 23 2012 Organization Development - Mastering the Future
- Apr 13 2012 Deidre Tubb - A Passion for Composting
- Apr 4 2012 Father of Free Speech Memorial Planned
- Mar 19 2012 Kim Hester Williams - "Minstrel Acts"
- Mar 9 2012 Cultural Resources Mgmt. - 30th Anniv.
- Feb 16 2012 Christina Baker - Oscar Irony
- Feb 6 2012 Black Scholars United - Empowerment
- Jan 27 2012 Gavin Moloney - Ramen to Romaine
- Jan 18 2012 Sherri Anderson - Serendipity Calls
- Jan 4 2012 Jessica Parker - Tech-Savvy Teachers
- Dec 5 2011 Alexandra von Meier - "Green" Goddess
- Nov 29 2011 Kristel England - Pathways from Poverty
- Nov 16 2011 Kim Liaz - Out of the Comfort Zone
- Nov 4 2011 Heidi LaMoreaux - Personal Geographies
- Oct 25 2011 Brian Wilson - Masterful Music
- Oct 13 2011 John Sullins - Rethinking Robots
- Oct 6 2011 Ramona Indrebo - Advocating for Elderly
- Sep 16 2011 Natalie Hambalek, Hearst Scholar
- Aug 26 2011 Andy Collinsworth: A Musical Leader
- Jun 15 2011 Nadir Vissanjy: Harvard Bound
- May 12 2011 Daisy Meyer, Graduating Senior
- Apr 6 2011 SSU Welcomes a New Career Advisor
- Feb 17 2011 John Sullins Receives IACAP Award
- Feb 11 2011 ΦΒΔ Honoring Internationalism
- Jan 27 2011 Pena Honored for His Community Service
- Jan 9 2011 Advancing World Harmony With Music
- Nov 15 2010 Keeping it Dramatic with Judy Navas
- Oct 26 2010 Sean O'Neill - An Eagle Among Us
- Oct 12 2010 Doug Leibinger, Jazz Program Director
- Sep 15 2010 Brandy Harris, Recipient of William Randolph Hearst / CSU Trustees' Award
- Aug 25 2010 Behind the Scenes with Don Romesburg
- Jun 24 2010 SSU Soccer Coach Offers Expert World Cup Commentary on KBBF 89.1 FM