SSU IT has an array of commonly used software available for student, faculty, and staff needs.
SSU uses Apporto to provide software access to students, faculty, and staff on their own computers while they are affiliated with the University. Apporto is the web-based distribution service we use to provision applications as they become available. We have both a Windows and a Mac client; each of them may contain different kinds of software. Certain pieces of software on these lists are class specific, meaning only students in that class will be able to download them. Software is for current SSU students, faculty, and staff only and will automatically be uninstalled when you are no longer affiliated with SSU.
Windows (does not support 32-bit)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (common packages)
- Acrobat Pro
- Camtasia Studio
- Snagit 12
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Acrobat Pro
- Camtasia Studio
Read&Write is an inclusive literacy software designed to support individuals of all ages, learning styles, and abilities with their tasks in research, reading, and writing while using existing tools such as word processors, PDF readers, and web browsers. Read&Write is available for free to all Sonoma State University students, staff, and faculty. Members of the SSU community with an active Seawolf account may access the software on Mac or Windows workstations at computer labs and the library on campus as well as obtaining a copy for their personal Mac or Windows computers, iPad and Android tablets. Read&Write for Mac and Windows computers can be found in Apporto. Instructions for installing Read&Write on your iPad or Android tablet can be found below.
Software not in Apporto
Follow the directions below to download from the Wolfram User Portal.
- Create an account (New users only):
- Go to Wolfram User Portal (user.wolfram.com) and click "Create Account"
- Fill out form using a @sonoma.edu email, and click "Create Wolfram ID"
- Check your email and click the link to validate your Wolfram ID
- Fill out the Wolfram Activation Key Request form to request an Activation Key. You may prompted to login before form displays
- Click the "Product Summary page" link to access your license
- Click "Get Downloads" and select "Download" next to your platform
- Run the installer on your machine, and enter Activation Key at prompt
Current students, faculty, and staff can get a free online version of Office365 Education. Office365 Education requires a valid school email address.
Office 2016 and other discounted software packages
Current students, faculty, and staff can get deeply discounted software packeges including Office 2016. Thinkedu.com also offers a variety of antivirus, creative, and educational software applications, as well as discounted hardware and accessories. Thinkedu.com requires a valid school email address.
Read&Write for iPad and Android Tablets
Instructions on how to download, install, and activate the software on your device:
Helpful Software Links
- Adobe TV
- This site has thousands of great videos including basic tutorials, interviews with creative professionals. Pull down the Products menu to filter by application.
- Built-in Tutorials
- Most of the applications come with built-in tutorials. Check the application's Help menu.
- SSU's Library
- The library collection includes many instruction and tutorial manuals for all the Adobe products. Some are hard copy, some ebook.
- Hands-on Start to Mathematica (videos)
- Follow along in Mathematica as you watch this multi-part screencast that teaches you the basics—how to create your first notebook, calculations, visualizations, interactive examples, and more.
- What's New in Mathematica 10
- Provides examples to help you get started with new functionality in Mathematica 10, including machine learning, computational geometry, geographic computation, and device connectivity.
- How To Topics
- Access step-by-step instructions ranging from how to create animations to basic syntax information.
- Learning Center
- Search Wolfram's large collection of materials for example calculations or tutorials in your field of interest.
Instructions on downloading, installing, activating, and using the software on your device:
TextHelp’s Read&Write support page includes an interactive search engine and Help section for each individual platform: