What's New in Financial Services?
Annual 2015/2016 University Trust Fund Agreement Review
It's time for the annual review of all University Trust Fund Agreements. We undertake this review to ensure that the information we have is accurate and complete. Having accurate information on file will enhance our ability to serve your needs and ensure compliance with CSU and State guidelines for Trust fund administration.
Please take time to review all elements of your Fund Agreement and fund activity carefully. Pay special attention to the accuracy and completeness of the following information:
- Trust Name
- Source of Funds
- Types of Expenditures
- Report Distribution
- Expected Duration
- Disposition of Funds
- Current Authorized Signers
- Donor Intent
Please note, we must receive either an updated Trust Fund Agreement or your signed Trust Fund Certification by October 30, 2015. It is important that you understand that we will be unable to process your transactions for these funds if we have not received these documents by the date requested.
If you need to update your current Trust Fund Agreement, access the electronic copy of the University Course Fee Agreement relating to all RTxxxx or course fee driven funds, or for an electronic copy of the University and Donor Trust Agreement or visit http://www.sonoma.edu/finance/forms/. The Trust Fund Agreement form and the University Course Fee Agreement are located in the General Ledger section of the web page.
We want to take this opportunity to remind you of the following guidelines and standards that pertain to Trust Funds.
- All Trust Funds must be self-supporting and maintain positive cash and fund balances. Deficits are not permitted.
- For all Trust Fund Agreements, please be specific about the sources of revenue and types of expenditure transactions that will be processed in your funds. When you cite types of expenditures, provide actual examples of expenditures that will be charged to the fund. Use phrases similar to “Expenditures to support the business purpose of the trust including payroll, travel, office supplies, guest lecturers, hospitality…”. Expenditure transactions that you submit for payment will be audited for compliance with the types of expenditures cited in your Trust Fund Agreement.
- For Donor (C0xxx X S0xxx) Trust Fund Agreements, be certain that the expenditures that you cite are consistent with Donor intent. Also, use the phrase “Donor Intent” in the Restrictions section of the Trust Agreement.
- The names and sample signatures of all individuals who are authorized to approve financial transactions (including Deans and Administrative Managers) must be provided in the Authorized Signers section of all Trust Fund Agreements.
- New Trust Fund Agreements must be submitted any time there are revisions to any of the information cited above (Name, Purpose, Source of Funds, Types of Expenditures, Restrictions, etc.).
- To ensure compliance with CSU and State guidelines, the names of all individuals authorized to disburse funds must be included in the Current Signers section of the Agreement.
- How do I know whether I have to do a whole new fund agreement, or whether I can note the changes here?
- Any changes made to your current Trust Fund Agreement need to be formally submitted with an updated, signed Trust Fund Agreement form or University Course Fee Agreement. This includes any changes made to current signers, trust name, source of funds, types of expenditures, restrictions, and course fee amounts. In the event there are changes to course or misc. course fees, an approval from The President will be required.
- Which form do I use if I need to do an update?
- If any of the Trust Fund information has changed, please download and complete a new Trust Fund Agreement form for University and Donor Trust Agreements. For all Fee Based University Trust Funds (Course Fees) please download and complete a new University Course Fee Agreement that reflects those changes.
- Are you going to close my fund if it has the warning of no activity?
- In the event a Fund has remained inactive for the prior three years, the error below will be noted at the end of your trust fund agreement. We encourage the Agreement holders to review their trust fund carefully, and contact Financial Services to update the status of their fund.
- How do I know whether I have a University Trust Fund, Donor Trust Fund, or a Course Fee Trust Fund ?
Donor Trust Funds start with either a S0xxx or a C0xxx, while all other trust funds are considered University Trust Funds. Updating either a University Trust Fund or a Donor Trust Fund agreement can be done with the same University Trust Agreement form. A trust fund is considered a Fee Based University Trust Fund (course fee) when they start with a RTxxx, you will need to download and complete the University Course Fee Agreement.
How do I review current financial information on the Fund Activity information provided on my fund certification?
Please keep in mind the Fund Activity provided is a snapshot of your fund cash balance and activity review for the prior three fiscal years. This information does reflect current year balances and activity. In order to review current Fund Activity we have provided below three, easy to follow Data Warehouse Phase II Tutorials to help you access your current day financial activity as well as current cash balances of your Trust Funds:
- This first tutorial will guide you on where to access your fund's financial activity and fund balances under the Financial Reporting dashboard.
- This tutorial will allow you to gain a detailed list of expenditures and revenues by each account for the current fiscal year.
- This tutorial will allow you to access your current cash balance for each fund less any current liabilities or pending encumbrances.
Who is the best person to contact if I have additional questions regarding my Trust Fund?
- Please contact Jennifer Benson at extension 4-4197 or email Jennifer Benson for Donor Trust Fund questions. All other Trust Fund inquiries should be directed at Angelo Vera at extension 4-2467 or email Angelo Vera or Nikki Anderson at extension 4-2488 or email Nikki Anderson.