The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) came into being as a direct result of the civil rights and student movements of the 1960s. In 1969, federal legislation was designed to encourage the inclusion of low-income and educationally disadvantaged students into higher education.
Who should apply for EOP?
High school graduates or community college transfers who meets regular admission requirements. EOP Priority deadline for the EOP Application (Form 1) is in early March of each year. EOP admission can not be guaranteed for applications received beyond the posted date. See the EOP Home Page for specific date.
To be considered you must:
- Have a history of low family income
- Be 1st Generation (parents don't have a 4-year degree, regardless of country)
- Be a California resident
- Be an undergraduate
How does EOP help me?
Advisors can help you...
- FIND information about academic policies and procedures.
- OBTAIN effective referrals to appropriate departments and offices.
- CLARIFY general education and graduation requirements.
- LEARN about SSU and university life.
- MONITOR progress toward completion of your degree.
- GET career opportunities, and special programs.
- EXPLORE declaring your major.
- GET advice if you're experiencing academic difficulty.
What about financial assistance for EOP Students?
The financial aid process is separate from that of admission to EOP. To be considered for all aid available, submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) during the month of January. Contact the SSU Financial Aid Office (707) 664-2389 for assistance.
Only students who are admitted into EOP will be considered for the EOP Grants by Sonoma's Financial Aid Office. EOP Grants will be awarded only as long as funds are available. In addition, there are a number of scholarships available. Contact Sonoma's Scholarship Office for information (707) 664-2261.
What does EOP expect of me?
Meet regularly with your assigned EOP advisor
(for 1st time Freshmen)
- Attend Summer Bridge
- Enroll and complete UNIV 102
- Freshmen Academy