Applying to ENSP

There are three ways of applying to the Environmental Studies and Planning (ENSP) department:

  1. A student may declare a major/minor in ENSP when applying to Sonoma State University as a Freshman.
  2. A transfer student with 60 units or more may declare a major/minor in ENSP when applying to Sonoma State University as a Transfer Student.
  3. Once enrolled at SSU, a student may apply to change their major or minor to ENSP if they meet the academic requirements and complete the application process outlined below.


Admission Requirements for students currently enrolled at SSU who want to change their major/minor:

Please note that even undeclared students must apply to the Department.  All students considering this major/minor should make an appointment to see a faculty member for academic advising prior to starting their application.

For currently enrolled students at SSU, Spring '17 applications will be announced in January. Applications are only accepted during one or two application months each year so if you are interested, we encourage you to apply during one of those application months. Applications outside of the stated application months will not be accepted.

 Application form

  1. Write an essay of no more than 500 words, typed and double spaced.  Explain how you became interested in the environment, your career goals, and why you feel ENSP is the right major/minor for you. 
  2. Complete the ENSP Admission Application.
  3. Complete a Change of Major/Minor form. Advisor name and chair's signature to be left blank. You do not have to declare a study plan/concentration when applying to the department but we encourage you to do so.
  4. Attach a copy of your transcript (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for this purpose). Minimum Grade Point Average:  2.75. Applicants with a grade point average below 2.75 will be considered and may be accepted upon showing unique and compelling circumstances. Please include an explanation of those circumstances with your application.
  5. Submit application to office at Rachel Carson Hall 18 during the application month.

If you have any questions regarding this process, feel free to visit Rachel Carson Hall 18 or call 707/664-2306.