Jobs and Internships
Table of Contents
As and when needed, the department hires MSCES students as graduate assistants to teach undergraduate courses, conduct laboratory sessions or assist a faculty member in teaching, etc. Interested graduate students should check with the department office about the availability of such jobs.
All MSCES students are required to complete one unit of Internship (CES 591) related to the area of their study. It is the student's responsibility to find an internship position. All internship positions must be approved in advance by the MSCES Program Coordinator. Steps to complete your internship are as follow:
- Students are encouraged to complete their internship position in Summer. Students need to search for internship positions several months ahead. Please contact the Program Coordinator if you need more information.
- After finding a position the student must complete the Internship Agreement Form and submit it to the department for approval. Have your on Site Supervisor sign this form and return it to the ES Department. This form must also be signed by the Department Chair and School Dean.
- Complete the registration form and submit it to the office of Extended Education, located in Stevenson Hall, room 1012. Other methods of registrations are described in How To Register.
- Following completion of the internship position the student must do two things:
- Complete and submit the Internship Program Evaluation Form.
- Schedule a brief presentation with at least two faculty members in the department. Talk to your advisor for scheduling a presentation time.
- The final grade for internship (CES 591) will be submitted by the advisor after the presentation.
As we receive notices from local companies about their openings, they will be posted here.
- L-3 Sonoma EO has several Intern Opportunities. (Posted 3/19/2017)
- Engineer in Training at Brunsing Associates, Inc. (Posted 02/20/2017)
Resources for Students
- Student Job Opportunities
- 10,000 Degrees Sonoma County
- ES Job Resource
- Engineering Scholarships
- Locate Research Opportunities
The Electrical Engineering Program at Sonoma State University invites qualified candidates to apply for the part-time instructor position to teach the related topics, including: Programing and Modeling, VHDL, Digital Signal Processing, RF & Wireless, Fiber Optics Communications.
Required qualifications: Ph.D. in relevant areas of specialties or Master’s degree with extensive industry experience. The part-time instructor position is a paid position. For more information please contact Farid Farahmand.
Sonoma State University is 50 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge and is one of 23 campuses in the California State University system.
Regular Faculty Positions
Applicant Pool for Adjunct/Temporary Faculty Positions
The Department of Engineering Science has created a pool of qualified candidates who can teach undergraduate and/or graduate courses in the department. The Department continuously accepts applications from the interested qualified individuals to be added to this pool. Generally, a Ph.D. in electrical engineering or a closely related field is required, but applicants with a master's degree in electrical engineering with at least five years of relevant experience are also welcomed to apply. The applications are reviewed by the ES faculty. Those candidates who are found to be qualified and having expertise in the department's areas of interest are, then, interviewed by the ES faculty. The successful candidates are added to the above pool. As and when the department needs additional faculty to teach a course during a semester, the department faculty selects an instructor from the above pool most appropriate to teach that course. If the chosen person accepts to teach the course, he/she is appointed as an adjunct faculty/lecturer for that semester with the approval of the School Dean and SSU Faculty Affairs. Any questions in this regard or applications to be added to the above pool may be addressed to Chairman, ES Department and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regular Staff Positions
Currently there is no staff opening.