Graduation Application Check List
- Get a copy of the Graduation Application in the forms rack in the ES Department office and fill out all of the personal information on the Graduation Application Form.
- Write in all of the courses you ARE TAKING or WILL BE TAKING before graduation. DO NOT WRITE IN ANY PREVIOUSLY COMPLETED COURSE. Be sure to include all the information required on the form - department, course number, title, etc.) The "PGC" column only affects Blended students. You should write in all current and future courses that will be giving you any credits toward the major, a minor, a concentration, general education, or your required 120 total units.
- Go online to your SSU account and access your Academic Requirements Report (ARR).
Admissions and Records will use your ARR, your completed Graduation Application, and any
attached Major/Minor Course Substitution Forms (explained below) to determine if you have
completed all of the graduation requirements. For more information see Academic Requirements Report.
In your ARR, check for:
- 120 Units. Check to make sure that you will have completed 120 total units by graduation (under "General Requirements for Completing Baccalaureate Degrees"). The current total includes all the courses you are registered for plus all courses you have completed. You must take enough future classes to bring the total up to 120. Let your advisor know if you are repeating any courses.
- WEPT. Make sure you have completed, or will complete the WEPT by the time you graduate. This is a CSU requirement. You CANNOT graduate without passing the WEPT.
- Unsatisfied Requirements. Look for any red squares. These indicate unsatisfied requirements.
- Substitute Courses for the Major. If you have any course substitutions (ex: study abroad, independent study counting in lieu of a course, JC course filling in a requirement, etc.), you MUST fill out a Major/ Minor Course Substitution Form (MMCSF) with your advisor to inform Admissions and Records of these substitutions. Admissions and Records will assume that you did NOT complete requirements UNLESS you turn in a MMCSF for all substituted courses. IF YOU ARE TRANSFERRING IN UNITS to substitute for a course, wait until AFTER the transcripts have been processed by SSU before completing the MMCSF.
- Meet with an advisor. Bring your completed Graduation Application. SIGN and date the form after you and your advisor have completed the Graduation Application and any necessary substitution forms. DO NOT write down a concentration.
- After your advisor signs your Graduation Application, put it in the Department Chair’s mailbox for review and final approval.
- Notify Ronnie Goodlund that you have completed the graduation form. Ask her to email you the Department Exit Survey. All graduating students MUST complete and submit this form after their last final examination in order to be cleared for graduation!
Filing for a Bachelor's Degree
Graduation Applications must be received in the Office of Admissions and Records by the specified dates. If any filing date or deadline falls on a weekend or holiday applications will be accepted without penalty through the following regular workday.
Note: Acceptance of applications turned in after the Final Deadline will be considered on a case-by-case basis, but there will be NO GUARANTEE that the student will be considered for graduation.
Important additional notes:
- All requirements, including the Written English Proficiency Requirement (WEPT), must be met by the graduation date. It is the student's responsibility to see that any necessary official transcripts, grade changes, test scores, petitions or waivers are received in the Office of Admissions and Records. Changes to a student's permanent record will not be accepted after the degree has been posted.
- December graduates, along with May and August candidates, may participate in May Commencement exercises.
- Diplomas will be mailed within two to three months of graduation. Diploma address changes should be made online through your PeopleSoft account.
- The University prepares a list of Graduation Candidates, which is made available to newspapers, organizations, and governmental agencies upon request. The same list is used in preparation of the Commencement Program. Candidates are identified by name, major, degree type, and date of graduation. If you do not wish your name to be included, please note this on the Graduation Application form.
- The University prepares a tentative honors list for designating potential honors (Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude) in April of each year for all undergraduate graduation applicants who have both a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50 and a minimum SSU residence GPA of 3.50, and who have completed 40 letter-graded units in residence at SSU at the time the list is prepared. This list will be used to publish the honors designations in the Commencement Brochure. (Note: 45 letter-graded units in residence at SSU are required to receive honors at graduation/degree awarding.)
- Students wishing to continue taking classes after receiving a Bachelor's Degree must apply for admission as a post baccalaureate student.
- Be aware that your seawolf.sonoma.edu e-mail address will be used to notify you of information or requirements related to your graduation. Please check your seawolf.sonoma.edu e-mail regularly.
- Please check the SSU website periodically during spring semester for updated information related to Commencement day.