All University departments are required to maintain a comprehensive hazardous materials inventory for compliance and regulatory reporting purposes. Use standard database software such as Filemaker Pro or Microsoft Access. EH&S provides a database template for Filemaker Pro. This method is recommended for departments with large hazardous materials inventories. Otherwise, use the Hazardous Materials Inventory Format in Excel.
Materials supplied from chemical manufacturers are typically labeled in accordance with hazardous substance labeling requirements. However, many campus operations call for the transfer of chemicals into other containers, such as labware or spray equipment. No label is required on portable containers that are intended for the immediate use of the student or employee who performs the transfer. Thus, labware need not be labeled, unless it is stored overnight.
Original containers delivered from manufacturers should have an OSHA/ANSI compliant label that includes the following information:
- Identity of the material.
- Appropriate hazard warning.
- Target organ effects and toxicity information.
- Name and address of chemical manufacturer.
- Date of manufacture or expiration date.
All hazardous materials that are transferred to other compatible containers, such as bottles, sealed beakers and flasks, are required to be labeled with the following information:
- Identity of the hazardous substance contained therein.
- Appropriate hazard warnings.
- Expiration date, if applicable.
Department hazardous materials databases have Avery label templates that allow easy preparation of labels for new containers. For example, the Chemistry department prepares labels similar to the following:
Another method is to retrieve the MSDS from an MSDS database, save as a text document, modify the Label Data information to comport with the ANSI standard, then tape the paper label to the container with laminate or clear postal grade tape. These labels may also be prepared in a Filemaker Pro file and printed to Avery label templates.
Material Safety Data Sheets
Gas Cylinder Maintenance
- Guidelines for Maintaining Integrity of Gas Cylinders
- D.O.T. Gas Cylinder Requalification Regulations (49 CFR) (pdf)
- Example Gas Cylinder Inventory (pdf)
- Gas Cylinder Inventory Blank Form (pdf)
EH&S implements an on-going program designed to reduce the volume and toxicity of hazardous waste generated at the University.