TEACH (Teachers Educating and Creating Hope) Week #SSUTeach
The CSSE faculty have envisioned TEACH week as a way to form a sense of community with your credential peers and content-based cohort and to engage in the philosophy, goals, and practices of the Sonoma State credential program. In lieu of the first week of classes, we have created a 3-day event to introduce you our community and welcome you into the profession.
Goals of TEACH week:
During TEACH Week 2014, the 2014-15 cohort of teacher candidates of the Single-Subject Credential Program in the Sonoma State University School of Education will:
- Build a shared understanding of the philosophy, foci, and structure of the Sonoma State Single-Subject Credential Program;
- Become a community of collaborative learners who will learn with and from one another while at Sonoma State and, once they graduate, will continue to view themselves as lifelong learners committed to ongoing professional development;
- Develop professional dispositions towards teaching that support and enhance their passions for their content areas and improving student learning and caring for students' well-being;
- Be aware of the evolving demands and opportunities of the 21st century classroom, such as how networked learning is democratizing information; and
- Understand and appreciate the realities of the challenging and rewarding profession of teaching.
TEACH Week Schedule #SSUTeach
TEACH Week Documents:http://tinyurl.com/teachweek
Tuesday, August 19, 9-3pm
- Welcome & Logistics
- Community Building: Cooperative Geometry
- Keynote on Why Teach? by Dr. John Kornfeld
- Small Groups: Why We Teach
- Philosophy of Teaching and Learning
- School of Education’s Conceptual Framework
- Discussion: Why Teach?
Wednesday, August 20, 9-12 (Group 1); 12-3pm (Group 2)
- Effective Practices of Teaching and Learning
- What does it mean to teach?
- What does it mean to teach in a digital age?
- Credential Courses & Student Teaching
- Why Teach?
Thursday, August 21, 4-6pm Student Union (3rd floor)
Local Administrator Panel Discussion: Why Teach?
- What qualities do you look for in an amazing teacher?
- Small Groups: What do you want to accomplish in your teaching?
To be completed before TEACH week:
- Survey to be completed https://qtrial2014.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1HuBuBRGPtvKxBr
- Download Common Core State Standard app
- Make sure to search for your subject-area standards as well
- Sign up for Twitter
- Download this Twitter 101 app for 99 cents to learn how to use Twitter
- Sign up for LinkedIn and join North Bay Professional Educators Networking Group bit.ly/SSUschoolofeducation
- Your Seawolf email gives you access to Google Drive; learn more about Google Drive
- Review SSU’s Moodle page
- Sign up for PBS’ LearningMedia
- Review Edutopia’s New Teacher’s Page
- Review Common Sense Media’s website
- Sign up for their teacher-based website, Graphite
- Download QR Code Reader