Careers for the Common Good
Researchshows that students who participate in service-learning greatly increase the chances that a student will pursue a nonprofit or governmental career. Whether you choose to work for a charity, social justice organization, environmental group, start your own community organization or run for public office, you will make a living and difference in your career for the common good.
And, there are jobs in the nonprofit sector! According to the
Independent Sector nonprofits employ 13.5 million individuals, or approximately 10% of the country's workforce. To provide a comparison, more people work in the nonprofit sector than in the finance industry, including insurance and real estate, combined. Employees of nonprofit organizations account for 9% of wages paid in the U.S. in 2009, and the nonprofit sector paid $668 billion in wages and benefits to its employees.
So, what are you waiting for?
- Learn what employers are looking for at the annual Careers for the Common Goodpanel (see the student calendar) and, join the LinkedIn Community Organizations and Higher Education Partnerships group and job board,and follow us on Twitter.
More websites with local job postings (San Francisco, Bay Area, North Bay):
- Volunteer Center of Sonoma County-- Manages the North Bay Community Organizations and Nonprofit Agencies LinkedIn Group which includes local community job listings. You can also follow them on Twitter @VCSCjoblisting
- Young Nonprofit Professionals Network- Network is based in and around San Francisco, and has loads of information on nonprofit organizations and job postings. Also has a listserv where job postings are send out every day.
- Craig's List-- Website is an online community based on cities - has everything including job listings to housing to selling & buying items to personals.
- Volunteer Center of Sonoma County-- Local volunteer center - has few job listings but lots of connections to local non-profits. Also offers many training opportunities on topics related to nonprofits.
More websites with California job postings:
- Opportunity Nocs-- A leading source of nonprofit jobs and career opportunities.
- Idealist-- The most comprehensive web site for working in the non-profit fields: nationwide job listings, tips on resumes, interview ideas, and other career information.
- Nonprofit Oyster-- Offers a venue for employers to post low-cost high-functionality nonprofit-related job listings, and for jobseekers to post their resume online for employers to find.
Other websites with Non Profit job postings and resources:
- Charity Channel-- Charity Channel is a resource that connects you to your nonprofit colleagues across town, across the country, and around the world.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy-- Nonprofit job listings (by position and field), news, and advice.
- Community Career Center-- Search for jobs in the nonprofit sector by a variety of criteria.
- Deep Sweep -- A large selection of jobs postings and the country's leading Nonprofit Job Board.
- EJobs-- Links to environmental opportunities in the USA and Canada. Employment includes careers such as nature and wetlands scientists, GIS, technicians, chemists, earth sciences / geologists, policy and law, wildlife conservation, planning, education, wastewater treatment and operations, program and project management, natural resources, etc.
- The Foundation Center-- A gateway to Philanthropy on the web.
- GuideStar-- National database of US charitable organizations searchable by geographic area and population served.
- Independent Charities of America-- Links to over 400 charitable organizations across the US.
- National Center for Charitable Statistics-- Information about non-profit organizations.
- The New Social Worker-- Information, jobs, graduate schools & links to websites relating to Social Work.
- Nonprofit Career Network-- Search for jobs in the nonprofit arena by position-type and location.
- Nonprofit Jobs Cooperative-- A collaboration of nonprofit management centers providing a one-stop source for jobs.
- Nonprofit Jobs-Philanthropy Journal Online -- Online philanthropy journal; search jobs by region, title, and field of interest.
- The Nonprofit Times-- The leading business publication for non-profit management.
- Partnership for Public Service-- The place to look for federal government jobs - may want to look at specific agency's web sites as well.
- Salarysite.com– The largest independent online resource for career salary information.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook– Part of the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, it provides information on salaries in different areas of the country.
- JobStar– All around resource for job searching; has a section on non-profit salaries.
- Salary.com– Gives benchmark salaries and advice.