Step One: The Beginning
Who are you? A seemingly obvious but very important question when you begin to consider your career plan.
Take time to answer these questions:
- 1. As a little kid, what did you think you were going to be when you grow up?
- 2. What do your parents do for a living?
- 3. What do others, whom you respect, want to see you do for a living?
- 4. If you could start tomorrow, fully qualified and talented at any job you wanted, what would it be?
- 5. Describe which parts you would like best about this job. For example, working outdoors, with people, travel, variety, money, etc.
Other questions to ask yourself:
- What things have you done so far?
- What do I like to spend my day doing?
- What do I like thinking, learning, and talking about?
- What kind of setting do I find most comfortable?
- What kind of people do I want to work with, for, or around?
- What kind of lifestyle would I like? What salary do I need?
- How much time do I want t for myself, family, friends?
- Do I prefer to work alone, in a group, or with an individual?
- Would I ratherproblem solve on my own or with other people?