CAMPUS REENGINEERING COMMITTEE MINUTES

December 6, 2002

MEMBERS PRESENT

MEMBERS ABSENT

GUESTS

AGENDA

APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA

Larry Schlereth brought the meeting to order at 12:10 PM. The Agenda was approved without objection.

APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES

November 1, 2003

Schlereth asked for a motion to approve the minutes of November 1, 2002. Seann Pridmore moved and Floyd Ross seconded the motion. The minutes were passed unanimously with abstentions from those not in attendance at the November 1, 2002 meeting.

VICE-PRESIDENTS REPORT

(Please see the December 6, 2002 Agenda Packet for this document)

Smoking Policy

Schlereth updated Members on the status of the Smoking Policy. This policy requires no smoking within 20 feet of a campus building. Currently, the bargaining units are reviewing the policy and the Campus is awaiting comment. Rand Link noted that the Student Health Advisory Committee is developing guidelines for enforcement among the student population.

Non-Discrimination Policy

Schlereth updated Members on the status of the Non-Discrimination Policy. Currently, the bargaining units are reviewing this policy and the Campus is awaiting comment. Human Services has been reviewing the policy with the Academic Senate and the CFA Steward.

Police Services Facility

The contractor selected to build the new Police Services building has lost his bonding and is having financial difficulties. He will be unable to build the new building. The project must now be rebid and will delayed while this process is underway.

Stevenson Remodel

Demolition has begun in the former Admissions and Records office on the first floor of Stevenson Hall. Construction will begin on or about the January 20th with a completion date expected in April. In the meantime, Psychological Services, one of the new users of the space, will be temporarily relocated to AFC-7.

Darwin Renovation

The planning for the renovation of Darwin Hall is underway. Construction is expected to be complete for the Fall of 2006. In the meantime, planning needs to take place where to relocate the classes displaced by the construction.

CSU ATAC Visit

Schlereth explained that the CSU Academic Technology Advisory Committee has been established to review curriculum implications that may arise from the robust networks that are developing at the campuses. Schlereth is supportive of the ideas that arise from the committee as long as new money accompanies any mandates that may arise. He noted that we are well positioned to take advantage of technology in the class room as 40% of our class rooms are smart rooms, most workstations have been refreshed, we are fully integrated with CMS, we have a state-of-the-art network and our Residential Community is fully networked. The ATC will communicate recommendations to our campus Information Technology Advisory Committee.

Division Reengineering Analysis

Schlereth explained that the impending budget cuts and bleak budget outlook is prompting a cost-savings study for Administration and Finance. Schlereth asked Members for any comments or ideas they may have. Crabbe advised a cautious approach would be prudent. Gloria Ogg commented that the first time Administration and Finance made budget cuts, the focus was on efficient and improved service. This round of budget cuts will need to focus on providing services in a more economical fashion. Schlereth noted that lay-offs are the last resort, however reassignment of employees may take place. Edna Nakamoto offered Human Services support to ease any employee transitions. Schlereth asked Human Services to keep a keen ear when the Committee is discussing any possible reengineering involving employees to be sure we are acting within the boundaries of employment.

DIVISION GOALS AND OBJECTIVES: 2002-2003

(Please see the December 6, 2002 Agenda Packet for this document)

Schlereth presented the list of Administration and Finance objectives for 2002-2003 and asked for a motion to accept the list. Schlereth noted that items 1-17 are mandates, 18-21 have been requested by Academic Affairs and 22-65 are discretionary. Pridmore heard the first floor of the library would be rented out. Schlereth explained that the library is consolidating circulation services on the second floor to improve the efficiency of the operation. The current back of the house circulation area will be used by the Center for Distributed Learning that was displaced by the Recreation Center construction. No objections were heard.

CAMPUS FINANCIAL AFFAIRS

(Please see the December 6, 2002 Agenda Packet for this document)

Schlereth presented a recent report from the CSU Chancellors Office on the states current financial outlook.
Schlereth presented his outlook for mid-year budget reductions. Much of his information is speculative, as he has not seen an actual document yet. He feels the CSU will incur a $65,000,000 mid-year budget reduction. The Presidents will suggest a 10%-15% fee increase to help offset about $30,000,000 of the reduction. The CSU Trustees and the Governor must be in agreement for any fee increase. Sonomas allocation of such reduction is likely $2,200,000 before any fee increase. Schlereth emphasized that this could be a long process. The campus did receive an additional allocation of $265,000 for our accurate enrollment management this year. Schlereth credited Katharyn Crabbe and her staff for this extra allocation. Schlereth explained mid-year budget reductions are very difficult as most of the money has been spent or committed by the time the reductions are announced. Due to the difficulty in managing such mid-year reductions, Schlereth and Goldstein will attempt to use non-operational dollars to fund the reductions for this year only. He noted that healthcare premium increases and negotiated compensation increases would raise this figure. Pridmore asked if fundraising efforts could help backfill the reductions. Schlereth said typically donors dont give for these situations. Schlereth noted that next years budget is still unknown however these reductions are likely to be carried over and increased. Dr. Arminana has emphasized his commitment to no lay-offs of permanent employees and will do his best to uphold this commitment. Schlereth commented that Senior Directors in his division are reexamining all open positions and he would encourage other areas to do the same. Ruth Burke does not want to see the cuts borne solely on the back of the staff. Schlereth agrees and explained that in the last round of budget cuts in the early 90s, staff took big hits and remain thin today. He reiterated that services might need to be reduced or eliminated. Perry Marker asked if access could be maintained with a 10% reduction. Schlereth believes this will be difficult.
Schlereth finally noted that lottery revenue is down resulting in less revenue for the campus.

PARKING AND TRAFFIC CONTROL

(Please see the December 6, 2002 Agenda Packet for this document)

Schlereth presented figures from a CSU system-wide report comparing parking programs at each campus. The Sonoma campus is well positioned with .578 parking spaces per student, while the system average is .297.
Rand Link commented that the lights in lots L, M, N, O are great however the lights on the connecting walkways near the lake and garden are not. Bruce Walker noted that these light upgrades are in process. Jim Christmann noted that even before the new lots were opened, our campus was still well positioned.
Schlereth added that 300-600 new parking spaces will be added with the addition of Beaujolais Village. Further, the new north campus entrance should help alleviate some of the exit issues that have been caused with the closure of Cypress Lane. Pridmore asked if any improvements would be made for traffic control at the north entrance. Schlereth explained that the campus cannot make improvements to the street as this is a city jurisdiction and not the state. He will, however, try to work with the City of Rohnert Park to make improvements.
Schlereth addressed issues with the recent storm related closure of the campus. At any given time, the campus has a small number of police present to handle situations. In the case of the power outage and campus closure, the officers first priority was to evacuate buildings and ensure the safety of the Campus Community before darkness set in. Some traffic control was in place, however when the campus closes and everyone attempts to leave at the same time, bottlenecks will occur. Often other local jurisdictions can be called for backup, however they were also busy with their own power outage issues. Schlereth asked is Members had any suggestions for the future. Nate Johnson said he is training the Emergency Preparedness team to evacuate buildings faster. Susan Kashack suggested a quarterly police newsletter sent to the campus explaining current activities of the department. Lynn McIntyre suggested reversing Laurel Lane in campus closure situations. She also suggested the phasing of employee departures. Link suggested broadening the number of employees who could perform traffic control. Christmann suggested closed signs be placed on the surrounding streets when the campus has been closed. Neil Markley complimented the police staff on the efficient handling of the situation with the limited resources they had.

VII: UNIVERSITY HOUSING
Schlereth updated Members on the Universitys housing initiatives. Beaujolais Village phase one will house approximately 650 students with another 650 students to be added in phase two. Phase one is scheduled for completion in the Summer of 2004. The determination to commence with phase two will take place over the next year. Veronica Lopez asked if low income or family housing has been addressed. Schlereth responded that family housing has not been addressed, however this type of housing is being examined for new housing to be built on land we wish to acquire. Typically our low-income students qualify and receive financial aid, which allows these students the opportunity to live on-campus. Lopez noted that landlords are often unresponsive in low-income off-campus housing and are very difficult to work with. Schlereth noted that we have an off-campus housing office that deals with issues such as these. Sue Hayes commented that in loose housing markets, the University can exert more pressure on landlords. Alan Murray suggested Lopez visit Chrissy Tudor, our off-campus housing coordinator. Hayes asked if figures exist to quantify the number of students with children who attend the University. Lopez has brought this up to the Associated Students, however she does not feel this has been followed up.
Hayes informed Members that we are still looking at land options and the parcel we have been eyeing has not yet been acquired.

WEB TEAMS

A recent University Audit will have a finding that our web pages are accessible to the disabled. The University Affairs office is forming teams to update our web policy and ensure compliance.

ITEMS FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER

Nakamoto reminded Members of the upcoming Mary Wood Scholarship Benefit/Retirement Party.

Marker believes speed bumps are needed in front of Sauvignon Village. He thanked Schlereth and the catering staff for the meals.

Schlereth wished the students luck with their finals and wished all a happy holidays.

Meeting was adjourned at 3:42pm.

Minutes prepared by Neil Markley

CRC Minutes 2002-2003
Updated 2008-01-10
AFD.WebContact@Sonoma.edu