Campus Reengineering Committee

Minutes: March 9, 2001

Members Present

Members Absent

Guests Present

Approval of the Agenda

Larry Schlereth brought the meeting to order at 12:10 PM. Schlereth asked for a motion to approve the Agenda. Floyd Ross moved and Sean Pridmore seconded the motion to approve the Agenda. The Agenda was approved without objection. Schlereth introduced new CRC Members: Ruth Burke, Administrative Manager for Natural Sciences; Susan Kashack, Director of News and Information; and Rick Ludmerer, Senior Director for Risk Management.

Approval of the Minutes February 2, 2001

Schlereth asked for a motion to approve the minutes of February 2, 2001. Pridmore moved and Mike Kiraly seconded the motion. The minutes were passed unanimously with abstentions from those not in attendance at the February 2, 2001 meeting.

Action/Information Items to Date

Schlereth asked Members to note the additions to the list since the last meetin

Classroom Renovation Project

Deborah DuVall and Chris Dinno presented proposed plans for the classroom renovation project. This proposal is based on input provided by the Classroom Renovation Sub-Committee of the CRC. A budget of $150,000 has been allocated from Administration and Finance to renovate 6 rooms per year beginning in the summer of 2001. Three types of room layouts have been developed based on user feedback: lab, seminar, and lecture. The lab will include tables and chairs, somewhat fixed, in multiple lines. The seminar room will include movable furniture that may be arranged in various configurations. The lecture room is comprised of primarily tab-arm chairs that are movable. All rooms will have new lights, paint, furniture, floor overlay, data projector, writing boards (one electronic per room), DVD, VCR, and a faculty control panel. All rooms will be remodeled in conjunction with the TII program and will be fully networked. Due to the equipment in each room, the expected cost per room is $40,000-$50,000, above the original budget of $25,000 per room.

Discussion ensued regarding the remodel plan. Schlereth indicated that the cost of the rooms as projected in this plan would mean fewer rooms would be completed per year, or the budget would have to be increased at the expense of other programs. Jim Christmann commented that he would rather have fewer rooms that were great than a lot of rooms which were not usable. Goldstein asked if any seating capacity would be lost. DuVall indicated that a reduction in capacity of 15-20% would be typical because the rooms would need to comply with current codes and regulations. Neil Markley asked if it is necessary to equip all rooms as extensively as planned. He suggested targeting certain rooms and using mobile equipment as an alternative. Nate Johnson expressed similar thoughts and suggested a needs assessment be conducted to determine the amount of equipment needed. Katie Pierce expressed concern that the loss of space in the classroom would exacerbate a space problem we are currently dealing with. Melinda Barnard feels students and faculty need the equipment in all rooms due to increased use. Eric Carlson expressed his belief that technology is important for the student's learning process. Andy Merrifield feels that the University cannot afford this high level of technology equipment in every classroom. Schlereth indicated that he did not have a clear sense of the direction of the Committee and will think about it and make a decision by the end of the month.

Telecommunications Infrastructure Initiative

(Please see http://www.sonoma.edu/it/tii/ for presentation details) Michel Davidoff, Director of Network Telecommunication Services, presented Sonoma State University's plan for implementing the CSU funded Telecommunications Infrastructure Initiative. Pridmore suggested that wireless networking would be better and less expensive than the current plan. Davidoff explained that wireless networks are still in the infancy stage and cannot handle data at the same speeds the wired network can. Schlereth thanked DuVall and Davidoff on their leadership of this project. Schlereth added that our campus is very lucky to be included in the first phases of this project given our advanced network. He feels this project is being funded at this time due to the hard work of Dr. Arminana and his relations with the CSU Chancellor's Office.

Staff Training and Development Program

Jim Maguire presented the details of the Staff Training and Development Program. He distributed the draft catalog of courses and explained the sign-up procedure. In developing this program, he was charged with the following areas of focus: technology, health and safety working at Sonoma State University, and general management. He asked Members for any comments or questions. Christmann asked if faculty and student assistants were able to attend. Schlereth responded that all employees were welcome to attend, student assistants could attend if the class was applicable to their job. Johnson feels the length of the course, the time, and course instructor name should be added to the catalog. Maguire indicated that he did not want to add the instructor's name because he fears staff will call them with questions regarding the program. Maguire would prefer all questions be directed toward him. No objections to this program were heard.

Vice-President's Report

(Please see the March 9, 2001 Agenda Packet for this document) Introduction of Rick Ludmerer Schlereth had previously announced this item.

Commons Utilization Schlereth has received questions regarding the shortened hours of the Commons. He noted that hours were shortened this year when the Charlie Brown's Café opened. He said sales have dropped off minimally with the shortened hours and added that events could be scheduled in the facility during the afternoons. Another Terrace Room could be created for this space.

Sauvignon Village Wall

Schlereth informed the Committee that a 6-foot wall would be built between the Regent's Circle homes and the Sauvignon Village. The Regent's Circle Homeowner's Association have agreed, via letter, that building the wall will satisfy their requests and they feel this is a satisfactory resolution to their complaints. At request of some Members, Schlereth asked Ludmerer to review our file on this matter to ascertain whether this letter is satisfactory to protect the University from any future litigation.

Funding Plan

Support for Floyd Ross Schlereth informed the Committee that Burke Cochran resigned his post at Information Technology in order to work full-time for the School of Education. The dollars in IT that funded Cochran's position have been redirected to fund an administrative coordinator for Floyd Ross.

Progress Toward Objectives Schlereth asked Members to review this attachment

Student Housing Expansion

(Please see the March 9, 2001 Agenda Packet for this document) Rand Link asked Harris if the housing demand study projections included assumptions for year round operations. Harris said it did not take YRO into account because we do not yet know what YRO will entail. Turner noted that the demand study did not take into account the updated Rohnert Park General Plan. Schlereth responded that even without future growth projections, 1400 current student received letters this year warning them they may not be able to return to housing next year. He added that he feels very comfortable adding 900 beds, but cannot be certain beyond that. Turner feels that the success of a project is a direct result of proper planning. He feels proper planning with the Sauvignon Village project could have avoided some of the housing problems we are in today. He would like to see Lesser complete a new demand study before continuing with the new housing project. Christmann feels, based on current demand, that we can go forward with this project. He does not feel that we have the time to complete a new demand analysis. Pridmore feels we need to build housing, and agrees with Turner that our current situation is due to poor planning when Sauvignon Village was built. Susan McKillop noted that it is hard to plan years into the future when political processes are involved. Carlson believes enrollment could decline is housing needs are not addressed. He feels that this would adversely affect the campus. Link expressed his belief that we should proceed in building a new phase of housing. Bernie Goldstein expressed his support for this project. Schlereth does not feel we have time to have Lesser complete a new demand analysis, however, given Turner's concern, he would like Harris to work with Lesser in revising the analysis.

Campus financial Affairs

(Please see the March 9, 2001 Agenda Packet for this document) Schlereth indicated that this topic was quite lengthy, however he would try to expedite the topic due to time restrictions. Schlereth explained that the high prices in natural gas have created a deficit in our utility budget. Over the next two years, self-sustaining funds could be subject to a charge-back increase that will more accurately reflect the cost of services (including utilities). This year's increase will be approximately $0.50 per square foot with an additional $0.20 per square foot next year. These increases would help offset the impact to the general fund. The general fund, however, will still have to absorb $420,000 this year and $600,000 next year to fund its portion of the deficit. Schlereth is hopeful that the State will cover the shortfall for the current year, however is not optimistic. The Governor feels this year's deficit can be offset through conservation, however this campus has already taken major conservation initiatives and does not feel we can continue to bridge the gap in this manner. Schlereth asked the Committee to consider whether the deficit should be split between the self-sustaining funds and the University. He feels not splitting the deficit could be considered the gifting of public funds. Schlereth also reviewed items that will need to be absorbed by the University for the 2001-2001 fiscal year. Schlereth feels none of these items should be a surprise with the exception of the Salazar Remodel. Schlereth explained that the realities of how the Department of Finance allocates funds make it difficult to complete a project without added expense. The cost of this project has risen between the time the Department of Finance approved the project and the time we are actually able to begin.

Items for the Good of the Order

Gloria Ogg advised the Committee of a change in the Key Policy. Auditors have requested a line be added to address issues specific to the Health Center.

Barnard expressed concern regarding the confusing road lines and markings at the Sauvignon Village entrance to Campus. She is also concerned about the PC conversion schedules for the Schools. She feels an April conversion date may create havoc. She asked if this could be moved to May or later. Schlereth asked Sam Scalise to check on this.

Schlereth adjourned the meeting at 4:00pm.

Minutes prepared by Neil Markley

CRC Minutes 2000-2001
Updated 2008-01-10
AFD.WebContact@Sonoma.edu