CAMPUS REENGINEERING COMMITTEE

MINUTES July 17, 1997

MEMBERS PRESENT:

MEMBERS ABSENT:

GUESTS:

APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA

MSPU (Harris/Merrifield) the agenda with no changes.

APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES

The minutes of May 9 were deferred to the next meeting.

ACTION AND INFORMATION ITEMS TO DATE

Larry stated that since we are starting a new academic year, the list is empty at this point.

VICE PRESIDENT'S REPORT

Larry introduced and welcomed the new A.S. President, Aaron Pava. He replaces Tracy Terrill. The new Academic Senate Chair-elect, Steve Orlick, was also welcomed. Marty Ruddell is now back on the committee after a year off, and Ian McCullough attended the meeting for Neil Markley. Larry stated that the student leaders had approached him regarding the membership of CRC, asking that the number of student members be increased. The committee discussed the pros and cons of increasing the size of the committee. Marty suggested that an updated listing of the membership by category would be helpful. Dennis agreed to provide the list, which he stated has grown from 15 to 23. Guest Mette Adams, A.S. Vice President, stated that the A.S. is trying very hard to increase the student voice on committees and to allow for more diversity of student input as well. Aaron added that the number of representatives from the various constituencies compared to the size of the group they are representing is not consistent when looking at faculty, staff, administrator, and student categories. There was general support for increased student representation, as long as the overall size of the committee didn't become unmanageable. Jim Christmann stated that in his experience on various campus committees, he has found that the impact of student members is directly related to the commitment of the students to participate and attend religiously. He also stated that many times, the issues being discussed by CRC are not at all constituent-related, but are difficult issues forced upon us. Barry Ben-Zion wanted to note for the record that although there were only two student representatives on the CRC, their impact has been significant, since the CRC members listen to and place importance upon the student voice. Larry said that he would meet with Aaron to see how best to proceed in adding student representation without making the committee too big. He also asked Dennis to prepare the current membership list for distribution at the next meeting.

Larry updated the committee on the contract negotiations with GTE Mobilenet. The agreement is now in the hands of GTE. The money is no longer an issue. The agreed upon amount is $20,000 which would go the the University's general fund.

The Thermal Energy Storage Facility is now operational, and in the first three months of use saved the campus $25,000--on target with our projections.

Larry announced that Gloria Ogg spoke about our Customer Services Center at the Western Association of College Auxiliary Services Annual Meeting in April. The Board of Directors of WACAS selected her presentation as the "Best of the West," and she will be presenting it again at the national association annual meeting in Boston. This is the second year in a row that Sonoma State has received this recognition. Last year, Larry was selected for his presentation on administrative reengineering.

Regarding the CSU Budget, the 3.4% compensation increase pool has been augmented to 4%. The funding gap will be made up by the elimination of the inflation increase (for our campus that's $80,000 that would have gone to Academic Affairs) and a reduction in deferred maintenance (our expected $178,000 will fall to about $140,000). The governor is talking about a tax cut, but we don't know what that will mean yet. The $80,000 is our current problem. Also, because the budget has not been signed, we are unable to pay bills.

Larry stated that the FISMA (Financial Integrity Standards and Management Act) audit has been underway, and that the major issue continues to be the inadequacy of our administrative computing system. Until this issue is addressed, we will continue to have related fall-out, such as the inability to reconcile our bank statements. President Arminana has formed a group of key players coordinated by Steve Wilson to determine strategy. Richard West of the Chancellor's Office will be coming to the campus to discuss funding of proposed solutions to the problems.

Larry distributed the Fall meeting schedule.

DEFERRED MAINTENANCE UPDATE

Items 1 - 12 are in process, utilizing all of the available funds. The $250,000 price tag for Item 13 does not include the dorms and appears to be estimated a bit low. Clearly this project will need to be phased, so we will be breaking it into pieces to complete over the next few cycles. John will be bringing a new proposal and prioritization for consideration next time.

PARKING POLICY

Gloria Ogg presented the first draft of the SSU Parking Policy. To our knowledge, the Parking policies and regulations have not been formally endorsed in the past. The first draft was not attempting to change any current practices, but rather to formalize them for discussion and revision as appropriate. Some of the initial comments included removing specific designations that could change over time (like lot designations) and keep the wording more general, to include a section regarding citation sanctions and appeal, and to build in incentives for alternate transportation such as carpooling. Larry asked that Gloria re-establish the Alternate Transportation Committee to come up with a proposal to address the last issue. The Parking Policy will be redrafted and will be brought back to the CRC at a future meeting.

PARKING -- INFORMATION CENTER

Dennis reviewed the analysis of the loss and gain of parking spaces related to the construction of the University Information Center. Although J lot was pre-built to compensate for the loss of B, C, and part of D lots, the number of cars on campus appears to be increasing and additional parking will be needed. A temporary extension of F lot will be constructed prior to the closing of B, C, and D. Larry reviewed the funding strategy for the temporary lot.

AFD BUDGET STRATEGY: 1997-1998

Larry reviewed his projections for the divisions resources for 1997/98. Two items are unpredictable as far as need--our share of the campus contingency reserve, and our own division contingency reserve. Regarding fund sources, Larry stated that he will begin fully costing Sonoma State Enterprises for the services provided by the division. The Enterprises is now projecting $0 profit and will be unable to contribute to the President's discretionary fund. The outsourcing of the recycle center is also being considered, but couldn't happen until very late in the fiscal year. The Employee Assistance Program contract will be cancelled, and the services provided by our existing staff on campus. The employee service awards and training and development program are also slated to be eliminated because of lack of funding. The overall projected shortfall is $59,000 plus any additional costs from items listed that can't be accomplished immediately. A number of positions are being eliminated, rather than filled, as employees retire or leave employment.

AFD OBJECTIVES: 1997-1998

Because of time constraints, this item was deferred.

STUDENT ASSISTANT EMPLOYMENT POLICY

Edna Nakamoto presented the Student Employment Policy. The student members voiced concern about the level of student input in the development of the new policy and procedures. A motion was made but withdrawn given the student concern. Edna assured the committee that the new policy would not work to the disadvantage of students, but rather would help to provide consistency in the application of the salary ranges and would create the new "flex" category needed for many grad students and students working during the summer. The consensus was to accept the new policy with the condition that it would be reviewed and assessed at the conclusion of the first year of implementation.

OPEN FORUM--ITEMS FOR THE GOOD OF THE UNIVERSITY

This item was deferred to next time.

NEXT MEETING: SEPTEMBER 12, 1997, 1:15 - 4:00 p.m., Terrace Room

CRC Minutes 1997-1998
Updated 2007-12-17
AFD.WebContact@Sonoma.edu