CAMPUS REENGINEERING COMMITTEE

MINUTES November 3, 1995

MEMBERS PRESENT:

APPROVAL OF AGENDA

MSPU the agenda (Barrier/Brown)

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

MSPU the minutes of October 13,1995 (Brown/Cinquini)

VICE PRESIDENT'S REPORT

Larry distributed pamphlets describing the Employee Assistance Program now available to campus employees and their families. He commended the Human Services cluster, and in particular Joaquin Sanchez, for quickly securing a good, reasonably priced, contract. Regarding the Human Service O.K. issue, Edna is working with other CSU campuses to try to save money on Hazardous Waste Removal by combining the campuses into one contract.

CRC was informed that Building 500, the temporary structure that houses Reentry and Disability Resources, is settling and splitting down the middle. Facilities Services is attempting to do a short-term fix, but John estimates that a permanent solution would cost more than the building is worth.

Regarding the AFD Vice President's reserve, it is now depleted. The last $20,000 was used to secure temporary help in Financial Services to fill in for Dan Bunch who is on an extended medical leave. Also, Larry stated that the initiative that provided for signs for the Administration and Finance Center buildings has been deferred in order to provide the $25,000 allocation to Academic Affairs to help with the funding of current-year already committed expenses.

Larry informed the group that a cost-effective solution had been found to address the issue of Special Events. Rather than taking the Wanda Blackshear position and filling it at a higher level, as originally proposed, the Entrepreneurial Services Cluster will redistribute duties as follows: Gretchen Casey will fill the Special Events and Summer Conference role, and Tim Tiemens will pick up Gretchen's previous responsibilities with contracts. Tim is able to assume the additional duties because of the move of the Housing Facilities function to Facilities Services. The Blackshear position will be filled with an administrative support position to assist the Entrepreneurial cluster.

Larry commended John Bond for securing funds from the Chancellor's Office for a MMS work-order processing system and for a boiler replacement. The boiler must be replaced in accordance with the Chancellor's Office timeline, so there is a chance that while the replacement is occurring, if the only other existing boiler goes down, we may be without heat temporarily. But if we don't do the project no;v and take that risk, we lose the funding. Anne asked that if it looks as if we will be without heat on a given day, to please notify the campus as early as possible, by Quickmail and phone, to enable employees to dress accordingly.

The campus is working with an off-campus company that wishes to locate a cellular phone transmitter on campus. If the contract is secured, the funds would be used to help offset the operating expense need in the Executive Office. Committee members asked that the Environmental Health and Safety Office be consulted prior to the agreement being finalized, and that appropriate information be provided to the campus to alleviate any concerns that may arise.

Larry stated that all of the MPPs in the Administration and Finance Division have received their first quarter evaluation, and that about half have corrective actions to address.

Neil Markley will be the CRC student representative to the PBAC. Tracy Terrill remains on the PBAC as A.S. President.

There was a suggestion that the CRC minutes and agendas be placed on the Web. Larry asked Gloria to take care of this item.

ACTION ITEMS TO DATE

INFORMATION ITEMS TO DATE

Larry reviewed the updated list of Action and Information Items attached to the agenda.

PBAC UPDATE

The PBAC met on October 31. They discussed and agreed that any excess funds not previously identified would go to Academic Affairs to fund the unfunded but already committed items. The "excess funds" would include any fees above the projection and the Risk Management deductible, since any case that may materialize now could be stalled for payment until next fiscal year. Also Larry reiterated that the $25,000 previously identified for AFD signs would be given to Academic Affairs.

FOUNDATION ENDOWMENT MANAGEMENT

Steve Wilson presented the issue, as outlined in an attachment to the agenda. Larry stated that he was asking for the endorsement of the CRC prior to seeking formal approval from the Board of Directors of the Foundation, since the Foundation would be asked to identify the funds. After discussion of the need, Bill Barnier asked if the CRC could see an outline of the structure of the "new" Foundation. Steve said he would provide this at the next meeting, and by consensus the subject was deferred.

THERMAL ENERGY PROJECT

Larry presented a proposed financing plan for the thermal energy project that had been previously discussed and deferred. The reason the project is being revisited is that we have learned that the project would increase our boiler plant capacity enabling the campus to avoid major augmentation to the plant when the Information Center, University Center, new Housing, or any other facilities are built. Without this project, the added cost for the Information Center alone would be $1.5 million. The financing plan would cost SSU approximately $66,000 annually over the next ten years and would be paid for primarily from utility savings. The risk would be if the savings did not materialize in the utility budget because of added utility use, such as longer building hours, unusual weather patterns, or new energy draws (such as the greenhouse).

MSPU (Link/Wilson) to recommend to the President that he proceed with the Thermal Energy Project and related financing plan as outlined in the attachment to the CRC agenda.

CRC members recommended that Environmental Health and Safety be involved in this project also, to address any concerns about the contents of the tank.

HOUSING GROWTH

Larry presented this topic with an outline attached to the agenda. The plan calls for an increase in the capacity of the Residence Community from 950 to approximately 2,000 accomplished in two phases. Preliminary cost estimates were reviewed, as well as a list of key questions to be discussed. Bill Barnier suggested that Jim Meyer be consulted about the possibility of a major donor funding the down payment in exchange for their name on the project. Several faculty members voiced concern that the long-range enrollment plan should drive the housing plan, not vice versa. Larry stated that the increased housing could target existing students who currently live off campus. The concern has been raised by some students that the surrounding community does not welcome student tenants. This population would be less guaranteed than additional freshmen, if the campus decided to increase the freshman enrollment. Freshman enrollment is tied closely to availability of on-campus housing. Larry will discuss the issue with the Executive Committee of the Senate for feedback.

ANALYSIS OF AFD BUDGET GROUPS I AND II REVISED

ANALYSIS OF AFD BUDGET GROUP III: FINANCIAL SERVICES

Steve presented the new standardized format as requested and reviewed the Financial Services budget. He was commended by the committee for the clear presentation, and he passed credit to his staff.

STAFF RECLASSIFICATIONS

Edna presented data regarding staff reclassification activity occurring during the past twelve months. She will bring back a revised sheet at the next meeting correcting a few position locations and including cost and total number of staff employees in each division for per capita comparisons.

OPEN FORUM -- ITEMS FOR THE GOOD OF THE UNIVERSITY

Neil asked if the water in the Residence Halls pool could be checked, as students were reporting that it "tastes funny."

Edna reported that the Chancellor's Office has decentralized the responsibility for PERB hearing representation to the campuses; i.e., the legal staff at the Chancellor's Office will no longer represent us.

NEXT MEETING: NOVEMBER 17,1995

CRC Minutes 1995-1996
Updated 2007-12-14
AFD.WebContact@Sonoma.edu