CAMPUS REENGINEERING COMMITTEE

MINUTES September 29, 1995

MEMBERS PRESENT:

APPROVAL OF AGENDA

MSPU the agenda (Harris/Merrifield)

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

MSPU the minutes of August 1,1995 (Harris/Merrifield) MSPU the minutes of September 8, 1995 (Harris/McIntyre) with the following correction: top of page 3, Barnier did not abstain, Barnard did. Consensus to not list names in the future when votes are taken.

VICE PRESIDENT'S REPORT

Larry informed the committee that the program whereby students can work for the Enterprises in order to obtain a computer is now available. The purchasing credit card program will begin to be implemented in the next 60 to 90 days, beginning probably with Natural Sciences and Facilities. A task force is developing the procedures manual. Alan reported on the issue of the Enterprises Uniforms and stated that he was working with a small group of student employees to address the concerns. Larry reported that AARC has not named its members to the conference committee, so he doubted that the committee would happen. He thought the PBAC may become the avenue that brings the two reengineering committees together. Larry informed the committee that the first evaluations of the AFD managers were under way.

Larry reviewed a revised list of AFD Objectives noting that 10 objectives had been accomplished, and 11 had been either deferred or eliminated primarily because of funding. "Resolve problems with direct lending" was added under financial services because this issue has emerged as a critical priority to which our new Controller is devoting much of her time. Three items were added in the Facilities area: the Housing Deferred Maintenance Phase I, Painting of the Art Complex and Cluster Schools, and Seismic Bracing in the Library.

Dennis asked about the deferral of the Records Management Program, and Larry responded that it was a staffing issue, that with the Associate Vice President having to fill in for the vacant Senior Director for Finance, and with the pressing financial issues such as the GAAP audit and direct lending, records management had to be deferred.

Dennis asked that the topic "Conference Committee Membership" be agendized for next time.

ACTION ITEMS TO DATE

INFORMATION ITEMS TO DATE

Housing Deferred Maintenance Financing was added to the list of Action Items approved at the last meeting. Larry reviewed the info items (noted in bold on the list attached to the agenda). He also asked if there were any questions about the topics discussed under "Items for the Good of the University." He had reported on these items by quickmail.

CAMPUS BUDGET PLANNING

Larry reviewed the handout entitled "Report to the Campus Reengineering Committee, Budget Planning: 1995-1996 and 1996-1997.

Under "Sources of New Funds" Dennis asked that Larry footnote the Health Center Subsidy, that $50,000 was from a prior year allocation. On the page titled "Budget Planning 1995-1996" the CSU Mandates of $1,474,549 is primarily compensation increases. Also included in this category is the new Risk Management Pool. Under fixed costs, utilities costs have increased and the charges for the MasterCard/Visa program have more than doubled as a result of more students charging their fees. Larry stated that for 1995-96, the University budget is balanced except that the "new needs" are not funded. He reviewed the list of "new needs" for AFD as well as the totals for the other divisions. He also reviewed the "new needs" for 1996-97, which are primarily rolled forward from the 1995-96 needs plus the addition of gender equity. There were several philosophical questions raised which Larry said were valid issues and should be raised; however, since they were not AFD issues, he felt the appropriate arena to raise the questions would be the PBAC.

REENTRY PROGRAM

MSP (Nakamoto/Harris) to direct Larry to write a memo to Don Farish seeking advice and counsel from AARC with recommendation for clarity as to where the Reentry Program should be housed organizationally. The memo should include a preamble including the background leading up to this question; i.e., the move of the program with the Counseling Center from Student Affairs, and a statement that Reentry is welcome to stay in AFD if AARC determines that it is appropriate. (one abstention)

ANALYSIS OF AFD BUDGET GROUPS I AND II

The committee reviewed the detailed lists of O.K. presented with the agenda. It was suggested that Larry revamp the presentation because some of the categories were misleading as named, such as "Subscriptions" which is really "regulatory updates." Also, some of the general supplies lines could be grouped together, with unusual big ticket items noted, such as check stock, envelopes, etc. Larry asked the Senior Directors for assistance in finetuning the presentation.

"CORPORATIZATION" OF SSU

Barry spoke of the meaning of "corporate" as efficient and business like in appearance with a perceived lack of humanism, justice, or equity. Since the SSU culture is varied, we need to be sensitive and allow for diversity of views, opinions, and appearances. Drew and Larry both related the issue to the issue of change and that as the rate of change increases, we can expect more criticism, as change is difficult for most people. Andy suggested that we keep in the forefront the mission of the university, and relate proposed changes as they occur to how they support the mission.

DRAFT AGENDA - OCTOBER 13, 1995

The agenda for October 13 was reviewed. Larry said he would add "Conference Committee" and that if anyone else had items to discuss, to quickmail them to him.

OPEN FORUM -ITEMS FOR THE GOOD OF THE UNIVERSITY

Melinda asked about Facilities Services, in particular, what services are provided for free vs. services that are charged.

Dennis stated that the exercise that AFD is going through with the itemization of O.K. is only valuable if all university entities provide a similar breakdown.

Barry asked about the garbage bins at the Stevenson dock. They seem to be regularly overflowing and unsightly.

Larry asked about how the University clocks are set and maintained.

Gloria asked if something could be done to improve the appearance of the bulletin boards on the east end of Darwin and the north end of the Village.

Analysis of Expenditures by Fiscal Year
Item 1995-1996 l996-1997
UNIVERSITY WIDE    
Gender Equity, Athletics 0 150,000
Stevenson Rear Entrance 0 100,000
Employee Assistance 0 24,000
Lecture Series 0 15,000
SUB-TOTAL 0 289,000
EXECUTIVE OFFICE    
Operating Expense 50,000 50,000
Director: Corporate Relations 0 75,000
SUB-TOTAL 50,000 125,000
ACADEMIC AFFAIRS 0
Enrollment Growth 400,000 400,000
Clerical Support 90,000 90,000
Telephone/Postage, SAS 40,000 40,000
Residence Life ShortFall 50,000 50,000
Director Financial Aid 50,000 100,000
Director: Admissions 50,000 100,000
Operating Expense, I.T. 100,000 100,000
Operating Expense, A&R 50,000 50,000
Academic Budget Officer 40,000 40,000
Internship Director 50,000 50,000
Program/Curricular Innovation 50,000 50,000
Sick Leave Expense 21,000 21,000
Clercial Transfer, Cont. Ed. 24,000 24,000
IBM Computer Purchase 30,000 30,000
Assigned Time, Waivers ? ?
Chair Time Support ? ?
Increase Inst. Equipment ? ?
SUB-TOTAL 1,045,000 1,145,000
ADMINISTRATION AND FINANCE    
IO 4% Salary Increase 0 28,540
Foundation Endowment Mgt 65,000 65,000
Stevenson Entrance Planning 12,000 0
Systems Analyst 67,000 67,000
GAAP Audit Compliance ? ?
EHS Audit Compliance 52,000 52,000
Vehicle Replacements 75,000 75,000
Campus Signage 300,000 300,000
Pay for Performance, Payroll 40,000 40,000
Thermal Energy Project ? 0
SUB-TOTAL 611,000 627,540
STUDENT AFFAIRS    
Clerical Support 35,000 35,000
SUB-TOTAL 35,000 35,000
GRAND TOTAL 1,741,000 2,221,540
AVAILABLE FUNDS
FOUNDATION 225,000 200,000
EXCESS FESS ? 0
LOTTERY 170,000 0
TOTAL 395,000 200,000
FUND GAP 1,371,000 1,996,540

CRC Minutes 1995-1996
Updated 2007-12-14
AFD.WebContact@Sonoma.edu