OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS: Admission Requirements for Transfers
Please Note: Sonoma State University has strict application deadlines.
For specific information on Undergraduate Admissions and Deadlines, Please click on the link above.
Upper Division Transfer Requirements
Upper division transfer students qualify for admission if they have a grade point average of 2.00 (C) or better in all transferable units attempted, are in good standing at the last college or university attended, and meet the following standards:
- You must have 60 transferable semester units* or more by the time you intend to enroll at SSU.
- Of those 60 units completed (see above), at least 30 must be general education course work** with a grade of 'C' (or 'CR') or better in each course.
- Of those 30 units of general education (see above) you must have completed the following:***
- A1: Oral Communication (Speech)
- A2: Written Communication (English Composition)
- A3: Critical Thinking
- B4: General Education Math
- You must have an accumulative GPA of 2.0****
- You must meet the special criteria for impacted majors.
*Fall applicants must complete admissions requirements by the end of the spring term. Spring applicants must complete admissions requirements by the end of the fall term.
**Consult your community college catalog under CSU General Education for a list of these courses.
***CSU Executive Order to establish a systemwide minimum grade for specific courses allows for C- grades in these courses to be accepted as meeting admissions requirements.
****Some majors require a higher GPA for admission. (See #5. impacted majors, above.)
Lower Division Transfer Requirements
Please refer to Application Deadlines for specific program availability.
If you have completed fewer than 60 transferable semester (90 quarter) units, you will qualify for admission if:
- you have a grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better in all transferable units attempted, and
- You must have completed the following with a grade of "C' or better:
- Written Communication (English Composition)
- General Education Math
- you are in good standing at the last college or university attended, and
- you meet the admission requirements for first time freshmen:
- are a high school graduate,
- have a qualifiable eligibility index, and
- have completed with a grade of C or better each of the courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirements. If you did not complete all the subject requirements in high school, appropriate college courses may be used to make up the missing subjects. Non residents must meet the eligibility index for nonresidents
If you did not complete all the subject requirements in high school, appropriate college courses may be used to make up the missing subjects. Non residents must meet the eligibility index for nonresidents.