Frequently Asked Questions
- How will faculty know the start and end dates of the online course evaluation period so that they can put this information on their syllabi?
- Faculty will receive an email verfiying the open and close dates for online course evaluation periods.
- What if an instructor leaves the course half-way through the semester and is replaced by a substitute? Who is evaluated?
- The instructor of record at the census date will be the one who is evaluated. Departments should ensure the appropriate person is listed as the instructor of record by Census.
- Can courses that do not conform to the standard calendar, such as clinical courses or those offered by the School of Education also be evaluated?
- Courses that fall outside the regular university schedule can also be evaluated, as long as the existence of these courses is communicated to the online course evaluation administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org with sufficient lead-time. Otherwise these courses will be evaluated within the regular semester timeline.
- Who will receive the results first, the department chairs or the faculty members?
- All evaluation reports will be released to faculty and department chairs at the same time, one week after the grades submission deadline.
- Will departments be able to specify the file format in which we want the results delivered?
- Currently, the software can provide a .pdf of the report and a .csv file of the raw data. Only PDF reports will be issued until the Academic Senate creates a policy on the raw data.
- Will department chairs receive department aggregates and means?
- Yes, faculty members and department chairs will receive mean scores in their reports.
- Will departments be able to request specific aggregate reports, i.e., how did teachers who teach the same class, regardless of their rank/classification, score on that class?
- We are investigating the software’s capability to perform this feature and will have a more detailed response after consultation with the Senate Faculty Standards and Affairs Committee.
- Will the faculty members be able to add their own questions? If not, what method can they use to ask their students these questions?
- Only colleges and departments may add additional questions. Faculty can use Moodle to create separate surveys to ask about course curriculum.
- What happens with cross-listed courses? How can our department ensure all students are included in the evaluation results, rather than dividing these into two separate evaluations?
- Currently the instructors will receive two separate reports (one from each listed course), though we are investigating a way to automatically create a report that aggregates the two sections into one. Only the department in which the instructor is employed will receive the evaluation report.
- What does it mean to evaluate ALL courses? Will all courses, including supervisory courses, be evaluated?
- All Sonoma State credit bearing courses with more than 5 students will be evaluated using the ClassClimate system.
- What about team-taught courses? Will each instructor be evaluated?
- If each instructor is listed as an official instructor of record then students will receive a separate evaluation form per instructor.
If you have other questions that are not included in this FAQ or in the pages of this site, please contact email@example.com.