- Faculty shall provide students with course outlines that are compatible with course descriptions in the university catalog. Course outlines shall be provided in a format that is accessible to each student within the first full week of classes and must include the following items.
- Name of instructor, office location, office hours, office telephone number, and email address.
- Course number, title, and general course description including the course format, materials, and prerequisites, if any.
- Course goals and objectives.
- Course requirements such as written work, exams, quizzes, projects, labs, fieldwork,attendance, etc., and a tentative schedule of assignments and exams.
- Grading policy (the relative weight of course requirements).
- Indicate the G.E. area of the course, if applicable.
- Courses listed as General Education courses should print or provide URL reference to the Mission Goals and Objectives (MGOs) of General Education at SSU.
- As a reminder to the students,language such as the following is strongly recommended: “There are important University policies that you should be aware of, such as the add/drop policy; cheating and plagiarism policy, grade appeal procedures; accommodations for students with disabilities and the diversity vision statement.Go to this URL to find them. (http://www.sonoma.edu/uaffairs/policies/studentinfo.shtml)
- Changes in the course outline should be communicated to students in a timely manner.
- Activities scheduled outside of regular class meetings, e.g. fieldtrips, may not be added as required course work after the add/drop deadline.
- Faculty shall inform students that it is their responsibility to read the course outline and to request any clarification of course policies.
- Feedback on course assignments and course work should be provided to students within a reasonable timeframe, and appropriate to the course design.
- If the student adds the course after the first full week of class, it is the student’s responsibility to obtain information about the course.
Updated March 27, 2014 by SSU.firstname.lastname@example.org